1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which bass is it that has "Evolution or intelligent design" in the campaign?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tomservo17, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Tomservo17

Tomservo17

Jul 10, 2007
    I've been trying to figure it out, or rather I've been trying to figure out what it's called when you feed the strings into the top of the neck rather than the bottom of the bass.

In further specification, I've been wondering how it maintains correct intonation as well without an adjustable bridge. Thanks!

2. its a Steinberger, not sure of the model name....and Im pretty certain that it needs double ball strings.

as for the intonation part......how does a violin or UB stay intonated when the bridge stays in the same place 100% of the time?.. I'd imagine it stays pretty well.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    That's the Steinberger Synapse bass - it had the ad with Michaelangelo's "David" IIRC.

As far as intonation goes, the Synapse bridge saddle is a one-piece construct. It is angled from bottom to top to approximate the angle that individual saddles would create. You can't dial in dead-perfect intonation on it, but the bridge allows it to get pretty close. Acoustic guitars have and still do follow this same design.

These observations apply to the fretted Synapse. The fretless has the same bridge, but there it's more on the player to properly intonate the "stopped" notes, as it is on viol family instruments.

4. I haven't seen one of their bass bridges in a really long time, but I have a guitar trem and a Spector NS-2 bridge that have set screws on the side that clamp the saddles in place once you have them where you want 'em.

5. Tomservo17

Tomservo17

Jul 10, 2007
    Alright thanks, really appreciate it. :D