Which bass is right for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by choochbass, May 23, 2004.

1. choochbass

May 22, 2004
    Hey all, Im currently looking at buying my second bass, but I dont have a lot of opportunity to try them out before I buy- Ive been very, very impressed with the Warwicks ive been playing up at my local shop- and the Corvette Standard model is right in my price range. Another one ive been looking at is the Fender Jaco Artist model (fretless lined jazz bass)- Im looking for something pretty versatile, but with a unique sound to it. I play mostly rock, but I often branch off into other things, from Funk to you name it. So, I guess I need something versatile, good with slapping, reliable, and in the 800-1200 dollar price range- any reccomendations?

(ive also pretty much decided to save up for a Eden Metro, as it is exactly on my price range, and ive heard nothing but good things- can I get any second opinions on the metro?)
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The Corvettte Standard has the typical Warwick woody-growly slap tone, so if you want a more traditional slap tone, try the Corvette Proline. Should also have a lot of growl, but the maple makes it better for that "traditional slap sound"

Also, go and try as many basses as you can!
    (And try looking at the used market if you have a tighter price range)
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Don't get the jaco.. Slappage is horrible on fretlesses. The Vette is a great bass.
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Corvettes are good basses. In your price range, some of the must-try brands:
    Warwick (corvette, thumb)
    Spector (CRFM)
    Lakland (skyline)
    Mtd (kingston)
    Ibanez BTB (not the cheaper 500 series!)
    Fender USA Jazz

I don't know a whole lot about eden amps/cabs. You should pm munjibunja - he is the amp guru.