Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass Is the Best

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Candiria, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Rickenbacker 4003

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Musicman Sterling

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Musicman Stingray

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  4. Spector ns4crfm

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So which one is it?

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Which ever one you like the most.

FORSFYD.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Estring said. They're all decent basses, only *you* can decide which is best for you.

P.S. 300 Percent Density is one of my favorite albums lately.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    MM Stingray has by far the best resale value (at least in Germany), something to consider perhaps...

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Seeing your Geddy Lee influence, you might like the 4003 for its sound. Otherwise, the MM's would be a good bet. I personally do not like Spectors.

6. a candiria fan....awesome...

7. a candiria fan....awesome...thats rare

8. sorry about that

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Candiria,

Since you had two threads going with basically the same subject, the one called "stingray vs. Ric4003 was deleted. You are asking the same question in this thread, with a couple other basses thrown in. In the future, please try not to double post threads of the same subject.

Any problems, feel free to PM me.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Good call, Ryan.

11. From the basses listed the best would be the Rickenbacker imho.

why ? because the musicman aren't even remotely near the rickenbacker in terms of both quality and sound, and the spector lacks the warmth that the rickenbacker has.

plus the Rickenbacker has the best looks.

12. In my opinion, the Spector by far

and for why -- I like the sound and playability the most (and I have played all of those basses)

Once again, just my opinion -- as the others have said, only you can decide

13. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    The Ric is head and shoulders above the rest.

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Spector

15. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Candiria,

lets sort something out,
    if I, or anyone else in this forum, will tell you one of these basses is any better than the other, will that alone be enough for you to buy it?

I'm pretty sure no, so to answer your question-their all good, all three brands bear high quality construction, hardware, tone and so on.
    so the real question would be what feels and sounds the best to you (thats in case you want to buy one of these or just see what the "public" thinks of each of them) as they are all very different basses.

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'll debate that. My Sterling is flawless, and has the nicest finish I've seen in a long time. I see minor flaws in most new Rics I see in the stores. That, and the Ric sound is different than the MM sound - not better, IMO. I find my Sterling to be the most versatile bass I own. BUT, nothing sounds like a Ric - I'm glad I have both.

I won't debate that!

17. Rickenbacker VS musicman

that would be just like Rolls Royce VS buick..absolutely no competition..

the Rickenbacker is a whole class higher than the musicman.. rick = high end, musicman = middle class..

18. CraigV

CraigV

Jan 8, 2002
    As an unabashed, loyal Rickenbacker fan and owner of 4001 and 4003 models, I have to say, "who cares what I think?"

If a ____(fill in the blank) fits your hands, style, budget and desire, then that's the bass for you. For sure, I was turned on to the Ric because my two musical heros played one. But I've also tried other basses as well, and liked how they sounded. In the end, the Ric is the most comfortable to play. For me.

Now go forth and play what suits you.

19. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Candiria, I would ignore allodoX's comments. There is nothing wrong with being a Rick fan, but don't let him influence your decision.

Choose the one YOU like better. Choose anything else and you may live to regret it.

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I concur - I'm a major Ric fan (and the owner of a 1981 Azureglo 4001), but realize there's more to life than just Rickenbacker!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.