Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass is this?? John Myung's bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jul 24, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
  2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    It's a Tung, a short lived company. I believe Tung was an ex Tobias employee.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

he was, and made only about 100 basses... There was some Tung talk here.
    Just do a search and if you have anymore questions, you can ask here.

4. I had an awesome Tung, it was a 5 string, bright yellow, and it was serial #0001, I sold it to cabooke. It's an incredicle instrument, I wish I still had it. I'll have him post some pics....

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You better do so!!! ;)

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Tung Basses,John Myung use this basses during the Awake years,nice sounding basses.

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    here's my ex Tung, also serial 0001

[​IMG]

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    All I can say is: Ouch!

9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i can,t believe they left making basses fr food business,weird :bawl:

10. I think I read/heard somewhere that he used serial #0001 on a few of his basses. All I can say is that those are some great basses, that are definitely "classics," and they're always overlooked. I think he'd make a KILLING if he came back and started making basses again, afterall, he did learn from the master, Michael Tobias. Beautiful bass by the way!!!!

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Pardon the horrible pun, but a guy's got to eat. :rollno: :smug: As much as I'd love to own a Tung 5-string, you can't blame the man as we've discussed the incredibly hard economics of small-scale shops many times here. Even with JM, who was perhaps the rising bass star around '94-'95 as his "star endorsee", his was a rough price point to sell at, especially to start off at, ex-Tobias employee status or not. Perhaps a scaled-down "Wing I" (his bolt-on design, as opposed to the "Wing II" half-through) without the studio electronics package... it's one large game of "Who knows?" at this point.

To the best of my knowledge JM owned (owns?) 4 of the 100, including an absolutely stunning spalt maple over ash body/ maple neck and birdseye maple fingerboard that can be seen on his "Progressive Bass Concepts" video.