1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass is which... Bacchus vs Alleva Coppolo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geej, Sep 28, 2009.

1. clip 1 is the bacchus, clip 2 is the alleva

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. clip 2 is the bacchus, clip 1 is the alleva

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. I posted this over on ozbassforum, but I'll put it here as well to get more people to vote

OK, so I have 2 jazz basses; A Bacchus 4 string and an Alleva Coppolo 5 string. Both 70's pickup spacing and both have a maple neck. The Alleva is alder with hand wound pickups and the Bacchus is ash with nordstrand nj4sv's. They are also both active, the Bacchus has an Audere 2 band and the Alleva has the normal 2 band boost only... but all preamp settings were flat for this

Also for what it's worth one is blue and one is black, in case we find the black one has a darker tone or something :smug:

In the interests of making a fair comparison they are both strung with R. Cocco nickels which I have broken in for the last week and a bit...

I have recorded a clip of each. Bass -> cafe walter headphone practice amp aux out -> asus xonar stx computer sound card line in... all preamp settings flat, pickup balance straight up the middle (the alleva has single coil pickups, so the hum would give it away if it were favouring either side)

here they are:
    clip1.mp3 - 0.39MB
    clip2.mp3 - 0.40MB

I also switched the strings from one bass to the other to make sure the difference was all the bass, not the strings... so I took the strings used on the bass in clip 1 and restrung the bass used for clip 2, and re recorded...

here it is:
    clip3.mp3 - 0.41MB
    so what I had assumed was a difference in the way the strings had settled is actually a difference between the basses, because clip 2 and 3 sound almost identical

So which bass is which? Vote in the poll!

As well as that, which bass do you prefer?

In other news, the cafe walter does a good job of exposing the flaws in my technique, as you can see.... I don't think I can blame the lack of rhythm on the amp though :spit:

2. LiF

LiF

May 11, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I like them both, but clip 2 had more depth to it.

3. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I did not vote on which one is which since I have no experience with Bacchus and only limited with Allevas. I would agree with LiF's assesment. Clip 2 definitely has more depth and roundness to it. Not to say it is better though. I felt clip one had a bit more bite. So, if you are looking for a more 70's biting sound...clip 1 may be the winner. That said, my guess would be that clip 2 is the Bacchus only because it has an alder body and clip 2 matches closer to what I would expect alder would sound like.

4. Never heard a Bacchus, nor an Alleva EUT (which I believe have Etimoe, or whatever that wood is called, bodies, but not sure).

Both sounded good to me but neither sounded like any of my Alleva's (probably due to the different wood combinations and strings).

I preferred the slightly more biting tone and wider footprint of clip one, but both were nice and fat and warm and 'J like'. Nice basses! I'd be happy with either!

5. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    I could be wrong, but, according to my experience, I have a strong feeling that the 2nd sound clip sounds exactly like Audere preamp and the NSJV pickups to me. If it's not then I will assume my ears are rotten bad. :):):)

6. I agree.
    Clip 3 (and 2, I guess) sounds like it has an Audere. It has a somewhat artificial, synthetic quality to it. I'd say those clips definitely seem harsher than Clip 1.
    If I'm wrong, my ears have failed me dearly..... :bawl:

EDIT:
    You didn't mix up Clips 2 and 3 by any chance, did you?

7. Yea, I'm not 100% sure on the body wood of the Alleva, it was listed as alder in the ebay auction... but it could very well be something else.

Maybe I should have made the poll "which do you prefer" ... but still, you could make a guess based on what sort of sound you perceive the individual parts/characteristics of each bass to add up to

no, clip 2 and 3 are the same bass... clip 3 is just using the strings from the bass in clip 1 on the bass from clip 2 to rule out any chance that the difference in sound is attributed to the strings

8. alright, I may as well reveal that clip 1 is the Alleva and clip 2 (and 3) is the Bacchus... so most of you who voted were wrong :bag:, but the guys who posted in the thread were pretty much right on the money

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Clip 1 was more up my alley. Not as harsh on the high end, not as scooped in the upper mids. I'd take either of them as a gift, but if I were buying, I'd get the Alleva before the Bacchus. Or maybe I'd buy the Bacchus and put in whatever pickups were in the AC. Or maybe I'd just get another SX for $100.

10. Clip 1 is definitely the AC. no doubt about it. You hear the alder.

11. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    yayhh~~~~ :D:D:D

12. Nice! Gooo, posters! Way to actually back up our guesses with reason! :bassist:

On another note, this is me saying goodbye to Audere forever. I really don't mean to bash on a reputable, quality product, but I'm just not hearing the well-known transparency. Sounds like the tone become overly harsh and thin...:crying:

Now, I wonder how a classic like the Aguilar OBP-1 would compare with this awesome-clean Alleva Coppolo Preamp...

And thanks for the awesome thread, Geej.

13. The Audere is probably my least favorite preamp, so +1 there. The Alleva Coppolo pre is among the most transparent I've ever experienced, and the A-C's stay relatively passive sounding, even with the tone controls boosted a bit. Of course, you still get that buffering with the preamp set flat (like with any preamp), which will widen the bottom end and the top end just a touch.

I don't hear much in common between the A-C pre and the OBP-1, which quickly becomes very 'active' sounding when the tone controls are boosted, and which also seems to have more of a 'built in EQ' even when set flat. The low end boost is a bit wooly sounding also compared to the 'pure low end' of the A-C.

I still liked both those clips, although per my previous post, I preferred clip 1 (which I guess turned out to be the Alleva... which makes sense). I never could really come to terms with the midrange voicing of the Nordstrand pickups, although the second clip sounded just fine to me in a general sense.

14. Yea, I'd agree that the preamp in the AC is much more natural sounding than the Audere. I use the low boost on the AC regularly when required because it's so natural, but usually steer clear of boosting the lows on the Audere because it just doesn't sound that good (boomy if I had to use a word to describe it), I do use it to cut the treble though...

I'm not sure how the Audere colours the sound of the bass when set flat though, because I bought this bass with the preamp already fitted, I do have the old passive electronics here, which I could put back in for comparison... but I also have a bad case of laziness.

As for which sound I prefer... dunno, the jury is still out on that one, they're just different, I don't have to prefer one because I own both :bassist:

15. +1 the most I ever do with the A-C preamp is just boost the bass a small amount. It's the 'fat' knob to my ear... more like adding weight to the body of the bass versus the more 'artificially boosting the lows' of most pre's.

I've been, for the first time in many, many years, playing passive on occasion with the A-C's also. Those pickups are the TOTAL BOMB. My LG in passive mode sounds like the best 60's J ever made IMO! Even though the A-C pre is very transparent when set flat, you still get the slight buffering effect that makes the bass sound just a touch more pristine (deeper wider low end and crisper upper treble). I typically like that (especially on the ash/maple LM). But man, on the alder/RW LG, the passive tone is just something... as close as you are going to get IMO to a vintage Fender in a 5 string that has no significant dead spots and plays like a high end boutique.

16. Whew! I'm glad someone agrees with me regarding the Audere. I was just about ready to get chewed out by its fans.

Pity about the wooliness of the Ag, though... I was considering it for my heavy ash jazz for the Marcus Miller tone. Still, as long as it doesn't WEAKEN the tone (like the Audere, apparently) I'm okay with being limited to boosting only a tiny bit.

And both of you enjoy the A-C electronics, I see!
    Seems like a really good choice for a passive alder/rw 60's jazz, just like you mentioned KJung. Maybe get some of that Paul Turner goodness, though maybe that has more to do with a fat tube amp than an onboard....:bawl:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually, it has way more to do with Paul Turner than any gear.

18. It all works together IMO!

19. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Try a Sadowsky outboard pre for the Marcus-like tone... oh, and practice your fool head off for years and years:)

20. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Unfortunately my fire wall at work is not allowing me to listen to the clips, I'll do that when I get home.....

I haven't heard much about Bacchus but I know a decent amount about Alleva-Coppolos. Allot of what these basses are about go way beyond what you can hear in a audio clip. It's all in the design and the finish work, these basses especially the 5 string basses do a great job of feeling like the best jazz bass you've ever touched. That includes the neck profile, the fret work and great woods. I own two ACs and have not touched the truss rod on either since the day I took it out of the box.

Prior to my AC love fest I played passive 4 string jazz style basses and Jimmy delivers a 34" scale 5 string active bass that you'd swear was a really great old Fender...

Looking forward to the clips!