1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Bass Line Is Better? (Original Content)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Definitely, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Track 1

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Track 2

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Track 3

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Hey TB, I was asked last year by a musician friend if I would write a bass line (and drum line, but we'll not get into that) for a song she had written. I said "yeah maybe, if I have some spare time, yadda yadda" and worked my butt off to try and come up with something. At the time I recorded many a track, but never could narrow it down to one to actually put with the song. I just found my top three from a year ago on my laptop and decided to ask the wise wizards of TB to help me. Which one do you think I should put with the song?

Notes:
    - The bass is boosted in all of them, it wouldn't normally be that high in the mix.
    - I will re-record the winner, so don't pick based on quality of playing alone, it was a year ago.
    - Yes I am still in regular contact with this friend and she knows that I've been working on them.
    - 3 was not recorded well, I know.
    - In 1, where there are breaks during the :eek:bass solo:eek:, it was to leave room for a piano fill to be added.
    Track 1.

Track 2.

Track 3.

:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Definitely

Definitely Banned

McBumpin?

3. Definitely

Definitely Banned

TTT

4. I like number 3 the Best, the simplicity is beautiful and it isn't busy like 1 & 2.

5. TBDave

TBDave

Dec 1, 2011
    I like the first one if you calm down with the 16th notes when she's singing. Why don't you send her this thread and see which one she likes more?

Edit: Actually I agree with the poster above me, I like the 3rd one a lot more.

6. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    Out of those three I'd say 3 as well, and I'd even go with less ghosting and let the keys carry the rhythm a little more.

7. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I sent her the soundcloud links but she hasn't replied yet. The 3rd was better material but was very poorly recorded.

8. Definitely

Definitely Banned

What do you mean by less ghosting?

9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    The muted notes. And I agree.

10. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Yes, ghost notes, makes sense, brainfart.

My personal favourite was number 2 but of course these were all written and recorded back when I wanted to show off and impress people with it, and when you're among a non-bassist population a groove isn't impressive to many. I've learned a lot just from lurking around the forums for the past year, I think I may just have to rewrite it completely using elements from the ones I've done and the new mindset I've fallen into here. This, as of last year when I started, was my very first attempt at writing anything of my own, so I was a bit anxious to get something impressive out and mastered, as you can imagine. I'll work on a rewrite this week and I should hope to have it up by the end of the week. Thanks guys, and I would appreciate if you stuck around for when the new one comes.

11. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    *This is subjective personal preference, but...

Number 2. However, this seems like a vocal performance piece and all that wanking could be distracting. I would stick to nothing more fancy than arpeggiated straight 8th notes.

Less is more.

-Good luck!

12. Definitely

Definitely Banned

My thoughts exactly :D

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    To me, all three versions of the part sound way too busy, bumptious and riffy to serve as support for a simple, down-tempo singer/songwriter piece played on acoustic piano. Unless there's some kind of busy drum kit part also intended to show up on the final recording, that hasn't been included in this demo, I'd say you need to 1) cut the number of notes way back, 2) put them only where they really count...and 3) go for a much softer, sweeter tone. This one sounds very burpy, very "Ampeg indie rock" - not exactly the best choice for a slow, soft ballad... :meh:

MM

14. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I'm getting the same vibe from all the posts, and a rewrite is in order, but how do I know where to put those notes? That's my problem now.

(and yes, there a drum part that was just as busy but that was scratched long ago :D)

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Ah, now we get to the essence of it all...

Sort of like the answer the sculptor gave when asked, "How do you know where to carve?" And he answered, "I just chip away all the pieces of stone that don't look like part of the statue." :smug:

I don't mean to be quite so coy (OK maybe a little bit), but you've just asked a question that sounds deceptively simple & easy to answer...yet which lies at the very heart of good musicianship. And guess what? There is no single, good answer.

But I will give you a hint: It has to do with the development of good musical taste. And it is neither a single event, nor a destination to be arrived at, but rather an ongoing process, and a journey that will last throughout your life... :meh:

MM

16. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Something like this:

http://soundcloud.com/t77mackie/straight-8ts-01

*Plugged straight into PC, trying not to wake wife up, bla, bla, bla...

---------

Yeah, ditto MM. The only time I'd wank is in the intro before the singing. You are on the right track in that respect - just keep it flowing and airy - that's the feeling I get from the tune.

========

BTW - do you hear any clipping in the recording? 1st time using Audacity and SoundCloud...

17. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Can't access it, you've made it a private track. You can allow me, QuiteDefinitelyMaybe, or make it public.

18. Definitely

Definitely Banned

New track will be posted as soon as I can get down a flawless recording. It's not specifically written out yet, more just a jam along that follows some guidelines, but I'm planning on keeping the bridge solo from track 2 with a much simpler track 3 feel. No ghosting at all, trying to keep a smooth groove going, but I did add a simple eighth note E minor passage during the non-singing sections. Thanks for the input guys!

19. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Whoops! Sorry about that. Still learning how to use all this stuff. Should be good to go now...

How does one put the track directly into a post?

20. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Put the link in soundcloud tags, in advanced you click the little orange cloud on the right then paste the link in.