Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass Magazine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Bass Player

18 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Bass Guitar

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Bassics

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Which one and why?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    At least Bass Guitar has 3 transcriptions an issue.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Inland Perch Jerker" fer all the purty pikchers thay got of guys catching largemouth bass.

[​IMG]

4. My answer is the same as Smash's.

This is nice to have as a poll. I asked this same question back in September but wished I had done a poll.

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Bass Player, because it's the only one available in Holland :p

Also : Bass Magazine, which is a Dutch / Belgian magazine. Very nice, but it only comes 3 or 4 times per year. :(

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Bass Guitar is the only mag I've read. I like it a lot because it has a broad range of styles covered and has transcriptions ( I don't think BPM does that).

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I read them all. Most of it is crap, but there is sometimes that gem of an article or instruction (or a picture of me). Also I like to follow the manufacturing trends and also their marketing schemes

Mike

8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Well bass player is a bit pricey (£3.50) becuase you don't get anything special. All you get it an advertisement of Warwick in the back and GHS strings in the front.

Where as in Bass guitar you have less advertising and the interviews are much better.
    But the best bit is that it is english. it is really annoying having to read a bit and then think how much that is in pounds. Also when you subscirbe you get a pack of free strings

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Doh! This thread just made it more of a debaucle for me! First, Bass Player and Bass Guitar are almost split. Second, I have the experts telling me I should go for Bassics. Doh! How about someone who reads all three?

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There is no general "better" or "best." It all comes down to personal preference. I enjoy all of the magazines listed and each has its strengths and weaknesses. I currrently have a subscription to Bass Player and I feel that it is the most balanced and diverse. If you don't feel that is true then I think you haven't read it enough in the last 6 months.

Bassics is always a quality read but it seems that I can't find it very readily as of late. It's more expensive if I remember correctly but it's worth it because of the CD. They tend to not be as diverse in their articles IMO but that might be great for someone who doesn't want to read about all the bassists out there...especially the ones who aren't really taken seriously in the bass community. Personally I enjoy reading different views and stuff even from pop bassists (don't find many pop band's bassists in the pages of Bassics). Bassics though always has top notch artists and features.

Bass Guitar - Are we talking about the British or American mag? Both have their faults IMO and both are less desirable to me than Bassics or BP. I haven't been real impressed with the articles of either. The British version seemed to have most of its articles written by just a few guys. I like a little more diversity of opinion and style. I also felt that the product reviews were poorly written and the writing skills were lacking. It seemed like the guys had their heart in the write place but lacked a bit of the skill and professionalism to create a high quality mag that can compete with the others. I like their attitude though, I think. The US version seemed more focused on rock and pop but it's hard for me to say for sure since I've only owned 1 issue and looked at the most recent issue in the bookstore. I'm least familiar with that one but the choice of transcriptions seemed lame. Not that I buy any of those mags for the transcriptions but if that's going to be your selling point...

Honestly if I could afford subscriptions to all of these I'd take 'em. I've enjoyed reading them all. My least favorite was the US Bass Guitar mag.

And that my friends is my humble opinion...in all it's glory. Feel free to toss tomatoes at will.

brad cook

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Thanks DigMe!

It is certainly sounding like BP to me!

Edit: Treena: Your smiley is off the hook!

12. I like Bass Player myself, but it's the only one I can get in my area. I'm lazy like that. I like that the examples are in tab and musical notation. It's definately helped me improve my reading ability.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    What Mike said...

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    As Dude can testify to: The best of them all is unfortunately gone: Bass Frontiers!

Mike

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yeah Mike...I really felt that we were on the cusp of something really special at the end there too. What a shame. Any sign of you know who??

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

YES!! just signs. I was at Summer NAMM and talking to Keith Horne who had, just the previous day, been out riding motorcycles with the "elusive one"

Mike

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  18. I got Bass Guitar mag for christmas and I like it :)