Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass out of these two for CGCF?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 11, 2005.

Which bass for CGCF

Poll closed May 18, 2005.
  1. Warwick Thumb

85 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. Spector MIK with Hipshot de-tuner

25 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Ok I have a dilema. I can tune my Warwick CGCF, OR I can tune my Black Spector DGCF with heavy gauge string on, and use the hip-shot detuner to tune to CGCF. I really don't know what to do.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That's really up to you. Do you only need the low C, or do you want the D as well? If so, the obvious choice is the Spector.

I've never played your basses, and I'm not you, so I can't say which one will handle the tunings better or sound better. You'll probably have to try it with both of 'em. :bassist:

Sorry that this post wasn't too helpful, but that's how it goes. :p

Edit: BTW, I tune my 4-stringer CGCF sometimes. I hope you have the right strings for it. My E-string is a .110 and it's still not great.

3. I've used this tuning once or twice with a .105, sounded ok. a .110 would probablym ake it acceptable.

4. I have been getting into Sysytem of a Down lately and Shavo tunes his T-bird that way. I tuned my P-bass and it seemed to work just fine. i had to tweak the bridge a little but it worked. Sounds like it would work on either bass with a little adjustment. Just go with what sounds better. A good friend of mine tuned his schecter stiletto down CGCF I thought it played like crap but, it worked for him. Go with what works for you.
    good luck :)

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    String gauge on the 4th should be something between .120-.125 .090 .070. 050, then i would suggest to use the bass wich pick ups have the best low response so if i were you i might use the warwick for that tunning.

6. I was thinking about a .110 low C. i don't actually want it too have a lot of tension; I juse want enough to make it punchy enough. You see, this band I might be joninig play fast, and I play with a pick. Tuning down means there's less resistance to the pick. Plus, I was looking at an ultra light set of strings for a 4 string, that went .90 .70. 50 and .30. I then looked at the heavy sets and they went .110. 90 .70 .50. I figured that the low E on the ultra lights is the same as the A on the Heavy sets, which theoretically means that tuning BEAD with a .110 set would be like ultra light weight strings. No,w tuning CGCF means that they'll be at an even higher tension, which should mean they sound pretty good(with the right kinda EQing too). Just which bass that's the problem....

7. I played a Spector tuned to drop C for ages... What you lose in tension you gain in grunt and attitude. Pick hard and it'll sound like Rex from Pantera/Down.

Oh yeh, use a 110 over a 105, the difference is night and day I found.

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    youll find out that the 4th string will sound sloppy with a pick, up to you, i strung my mim jazz with .110 and drop to C it didnt sound well for me i fingerplay all the time wich is not good for playing SOAD songs after each song i have to rest like 30 sec to 1 min so i dont get too much pain the next day after the gig.

9. That's what I've found with my warwick tuned CGCF. It loses some clarity but it just gets that grunt(very good word for it). With the sansamp cranked a bit it sounds uber agressive. Iduno which to choose though.......I only have enough money to get one of these basses set up with the right strings and action etc. :help: BTW the warwick is ahead in the poll right now so I'm leaning more that way.

10. OK, it's not a MIK, but I have my Euro 4 permanently tuned to DGCF on a standard set of strings - I also use a pick 90%. I couldn't tell you about droping to C but I don't experience any problems on the D - on the contrary this tuning is the only way I can get close to the tone I want without effects.

I think this tuning on the Spector with the hipshot would give you a much more flexible bass.

11. Hmmm. So much going for both basses.

12. I don't understand why you wouldn't just get a 5-string.

13. Simple...he already has 2 basses and it's a heck of a lot cheaper to just slap another set of strings and tweak the setup.

Do the Warwick (I flipped a coin, and it came up heads... :D )

14. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY

I agree get a 5, it's taken years to memorize and get comfortable with the fretboard. Is it that easy to change tunings and be proficient? All for 1 or 2 notes?
    Sorry if I'm stupid but I'm not hip to many altered tunings staying in 4ths.

Pete

15. I have a 5 string. However, the riffs are FAST. they hit open C a lot, so I'd have to have lightning fast hands to be able to do it, and I can't. So that's the reason for tuning CGCF.

16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Nothing some good technique and practice can't solve ;).

17. I knew you'd say that. You called me lame for tuning CGCF. This music is heavy. It requires me to stick to the root a lot. A lot of bassists forget to keep it BASSy. That's what people say about my playing, I do little fills, but I keep it deep and bassy.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I would have thought the warwick would be a better choice, no idea why I just do.

I also think a 120 is the way to go for the lowest strings, if your going to be playing as fast as you say you are, then sloppy strings will slow you down.

Just a thought.

Does this mean you got in?

19. The lead singer is pretty confident I'm in.

20. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp