Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass out of these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 13, 2004.

Which would you recommend?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2004.
  1. Spector Euro 4 neck through

46 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Musicman Stingray 4

47 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Musicman Sterling 4

31 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Other (please read my post and then specify)

19 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just wondering what you guys think.

I have been selling stuff and saving money to save up for a new bass. Right now im about 1/2 -2/3 of the way there, and probably will aquire the rest when i get a job. :bag:

Basically I want a bass that i can use for several years to come. I want something of high quality. I will be buying used most likely, but that doesnt really matter as far as to which bass to get. I want a bass that has a mid-rich growl that has a good slap tone but a nice fingerstyle is a necesity as well. I play all types of music but my band that i am in with my friends plays funk-alternative. I would like a tone that doesnt only sit behind the mix, but takes a decently aggresive role, because we only have 1 guitarist, so the bass has to play a pretty powerful role. I have ruled out precision basses because although they sound great, its not what i need. I have also ruled out jazz basses because they just dont please me.

I believe i have narrowed it down to a few basses but i am open to suggestions. Spector Euro 4 neckthrough, Musicman Stingray, Musicman Sterling. I dont like Bongos, i know they probably play and sound wonderful but its just not my bag. I like the way Warwicks sound but thats about as far as it goes.

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Sterling.

EDIT: voited cause you just made it a poll :hyper:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Would you back up your suggestion with any reasons? Does the sterling have more tonal variation than the stingray? Is the body more comfortable?(it appears to be).

4. If it has to be a MM, I would get a bongo.

If it does'nt, maybe a lull or KSD V60 or V70.

5. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I don't own either but I have played both. The Sterling felt more comfortable (body felt a bit lighter and smaller don't know if there is a real difference but it was just what I felt) and it has the ability to spit the coils of the pup makes for a more versatile sound.

The problem with both is that you only have the one pick up close to the bridge. If your style doesn't need the round P-sound this is fine for you- but I wanted to have the cutting bridge pick up and the rounder-sounding neck pick up so that I could produce a wide array of sounds with just one instrument. I'm probably going to go with either a Bongo or a G & L - 2000.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    emmmm good choices! Well i recently had to use a euro spector for a gig when my usa spector was sent in for some updates. Awsome sounding bass! Great action on the euro as well. Dont get me wrong i used a couple of stingrays in the studio and loved them as well! But this is what i decided on in this poll. Stingray is a larger co. and larger co. are harder to work with! Spector is a awsome co. and i haved worked with them a few times getting work done on my bass! Very fast and always correct! So you might just keep that in mind! :bassist:

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive played a stingray before but never a sterling. I personally think the sterling would suit me better. I will be going to a GC thats an hour or so away from me soon-ish and hopefully they will have one there.

8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've had a Sterling for years and it's an outstanding bass and is definitely more versatile than a Stingray, often more comfortable for people who don't have large hands since the Sterling's neck is more Jazz like. It can go from insanely thin and/or nasal sounding to massive reggae style thump. The preamp is excellent, the pickup very powerful and beautiful sounding, to me at least. You really can't go wrong. I've tried to sell mine because I really only play 5 strings but can't bring myself to do it, I'm just too attached to its sound and looks. Plus I special ordered mine so that memory always kind of lingers... Hell I remember when I opened this bass's case better than I remember virtually anything else in my life. You can't go wrong with any of them, I almost bought one of the Euro's, they're excellent as well but have a fatter neck and I'm not a huge EMG fan anyways. But all are excellent, play the heck out of them at GC or whever and evaulate my good man.

9. tater tot

tater tot

Dec 4, 2004
    overall best sound and vol. at least thats my opinion

10. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I would agree. For the versatility, a Bongo or G & L 2000/ASAT

11. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I know exactly what you mean by that statement but nothing else sounds like a Warwick. Very aggressive mids, cuts through perfectly.

12. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sting Ray 5, has the low "B" !!!

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not a fan of 5'ers. Bought a Spector Q5 9 months ago or so and just recently sold it last week becasue i could never get comfortable with 5 strings.

14. My vote goes to the Sterling. Best sounding IMO, nicest looks and great feel.

15. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I'd go for other: Warwick thumb 4 Neck-Thru :)

16. I've had both the Stingray and the Sterling and I LOVED the Sterling. It was very easy to play and I could get more sounds out of it. I got rid of mine because it had an uncorrectable problem with the neck at about the third fret and I needed money.

I should have shipped it to EB to have them fit a new neck to it!

17. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Spector Euro. I actually love all of the choices, but the Spector is in another class altogether(IMHO).

18. Yeah I also voted Spector for the great mids and the quality of construction which is important if you want it to last a long time. You said you didnt like P or J basses and the spector has a P/J pu config. Although, they are EMGs and they are not your traitional Precisoin and Jazz pups but you probably knew that. ;)

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah my current bass (Godin SD) has P/J pups (I put Bartolini's in). Thats one of the reasons i was tihnking about not gettin the spector; no need for two P/J basses?

20. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    ...EB/MM can't be beat. Great tone. I chose Sterling because of its lighter weight.

Tom H.