Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass player have the most famous bass???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Martha01, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Martha01

Martha01

Sep 20, 2002
  2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Jamerson, Bobbitt, Kaye, Osborne, Will Lee, Dunn, & Macca to name a few.

3. Sir Paul and his Hofner

4. I may have misunderstood the question

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    No, you did fine, I think that I may have. Also Boosty and Marcus Miller.

6. Martha01

Martha01

Sep 20, 2002
    its like if you put the bass out for sale and whos bass will you pay most money to buy???

7. Jaco's Jazz (which, could still be out there.. have they found it yet?) Jamerson's P-Bass (ditto)

i think those are the 2 that would sell the most money if you knew who they belonged too

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jamerson's stock `62 Precision, "The Funk Machine" ("Funk" was carved into the neck heel) probably has the most cachet, the most "mystique" because he recorded almost all of his hits with it, and he died without it ever being found.

AFAIK, "Bass Player" magazine is still looking for it. Fender and Bass Player offers to trade a new '62 Vintage series Precision for it with no questions asked, (Hah!!! Some trade :rolleyes: ). They want to put it in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

Jaco Pastorius used a number of basses that were modified. So, no single one has the significance of "The Funk Machine", IMO.

If, by "famous", you mean a bass that is most identified with a bassist by the general public, I couldn't say. Jillions of people saw McCartney play but back then, relatively few people other than musicians paid attention to the instruments.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Larry Graham's first Jazz was also stolen.

10. jaco had 3 main basses,all 3: no pickgaurd sunburst.i belive 2 were fretless.i know one was fretted.i read some were that 2 of the baases got stolen from him when he was sleeping in a park in ny when he was homeless.one fretted and one fretless.

if u look at the jaco relic bass it looks like the one that wasnt stolen.i belive this is the one he sold then bought back from the music store .they couldnt sell it.it was on ebay not too long ago.

all of this is from the top of my head iam probly wroung.

11. jaco had 3 main basses,all 3: no pickgaurd sunburst.i belive 2 were fretless.i know one was fretted.i read some were that 2 of the baases got stolen from him when he was sleeping in a park in ny when he was homeless.one fretted and one fretless.

if u look at the jaco relic bass it looks like the one that wasnt stolen.i belive this is the one he sold then bought back from the music store .they couldnt sell it.it was on ebay not too long ago.

all of this is from the top of my head iam probly wroung. i say the most famos bass has to be one of claypools.

12. Entwhistle and the buzzard?

13. I would think that Paul McCartney's Hofner- that still has the set list of the Beatles last concert at Candlestick Park, San Fransisco, taped to the side of the bass- would fetch the most $$.

Charles Mingus' double bass with the dragon carved out of the headstock scroll would also be up there.

14. I'd have to say that Paul McCartney's Hofner is probably the most universally recognized. A lot of non-musicians I have known over the years have mentioned the "violin guitar" he used to play.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

John Entwhistle's Alembic's were pretty darn cool. LED fret markers. Brass spider-web inlays. He also played hybrid P-Bass necks and T-Bird bodies which he called "Fender Birds". Right before his passing (the drug OD really makes me angry) he also was sporting some pretty flashy stff of a maker whose name I cannot recall.

16. This is what I was gonna say.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well this isn't to the level of recognition of Sir McCartney but Claypool's Carl Thompsons are pretty recognizable to a lotta peeps.

brad cook

18. And, of course, there's the "My Generation" Danelectro. I could see myself maxing out a few credit cards to buy that one.

19. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Less Claypool's Carl Thompsons, also the prettiest. I have to see Mingus's dragon scroll bass any pics out there?