1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass preamp pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mike19, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    In my home studio (aka the spare bedroom), I run 2 amps simultaneosly using an ABY box: one amp for effects and the other for a clean bottom signal.

My current setup:

bass (Schecter C-4 w/ 2 band eq)> Pitchblack> LiveWire ABY Box>

Output A> Boss OC-3> Boss ODB-3 -Devi Evers Hyperion>
    ProCo RAT> BDDI> amp #1 (Acoustic 260 Mini)

Output B> direct into G-K MB210 Combo

I recently tried the BDDI between my bass and the G-K amp. The result was impressive - more dynamic and articulate with a nice tube veneer over what the G-K already does.

So, I want to add a pedal to my board that is similar to the BDDI to run before the G-K amp.

So, one might ask, why not just get a second BDDI? Two reasons: (1) I'm an obessive compulsive collector, - I want something besides the BDDI and (2) The BDDI costs $200 new and my budget is $150.

After lenghty rearearch, including on TB, I have narrowed the field down to the following:

> Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass Preamp $140
    > Seymour Duncan SFX-06 Paranornal Bass EQ
    > MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box $140
    >Tech 21 VT $150
    > Aphex Bass Xciter $150

What do you like?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Of the ones you've listed, the VT is a slam dunk and the MXR is a solid alternate. The Fishman won't provide much tone shaping beyond what the GK already provides; the Duncan is kind of an unknown quantity, not many people have even tried it; and the Aphex is a "love it or hate it" thing. Worth trying, but not a sure thing.

Look for a used MusicElectronix Submarine or DHA VT1 pedal, they will provide a lot of bang and can be withing your budget.

3. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Thanks again Bongomania.

4. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    the VT or MXR. The Aphex would be cool too, but the VT Bass and the M80 give you the options of distortion as well, just more 'bang for the buck'

5. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    i have both the bddi and vt. i will never get rid of either of them.

6. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

Unfortunately, its now a moot point. I got carried away this morning playing along with a Van Halen song :bassist: and managed to blow the speaker in the Acoustic 260 mini cab :eek:. So I ran all the effects into the BDDI and then into the G-K MB210 Combo. Now the sound is markerdly better than running the 2 amps so I'm not going to fix or replace the Acoustic.

Stock, the MB210 puts out 350w into the two 10" speakers. I may add a second cab which would then draw 500w from the amp.

In any event, I no longer need another pre/DI so maybe I'll look arounf for a one-off hand painted Devi Ever pedal. :D