Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass setup do you guys think i should go with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Ok, so here's the scoop. I'm about to have Dave Pushic build me an instrument. I'm thinking to go with a spalted maple top, for the core, i'm thinking either mahogony, alder, or ash (give your opinions on this too if you want), hipshot tuners, ebony fingerboard, it's gonna be a fretless, 6 string. Those are the major points on the instrument, the question is as follows:

Should i get it with a lightwave system installed, that's including the Magnetic pickup emulator, ice tone, 15 hour battery?

Or should i go with Two Bartonlini Quad Coils, using the same wild setup that Jeff Rader used on his DP custom? The picture is of Jeff's control setup.

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I personally would go with the normal magnetic pickups. I think those would be the most useful for me... Perhaps you can add a piezo?

3. It's a possibility, what does everyone else think about which setup i should get?

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I don't have any experience with the Lightwave system, so I really couldn't say, but I'm gonna go with Barts when I do my DP Custom. Probably a set-up very similar to Jeff's.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    bart quad coils
    with 4 3position switches, one for each pair of coils (front on, both on, rear on) this way you could get ANY combination of tones (PJ, JJ, PP, JH, PH, HH, etc...)

and a U-Retro Deluxe

that'd be tight.

6. I don't know if i'd go with the U-retro, but definately the idea of having a 3 position switch for each pair of coils is a great one. And then if i hujo's idea and added a piezo, besides the fact that i'd have so many knobs, i would have a vast arsonal of sound. :D

Hujo, or anyone for that matter, if i decide to get it fretted instead, would you still say to get the piezo, or no?

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've never tried a fretted piezo bass, actually. Some people say they're clicky. If you got a good piezo, (fishman, shadow, or that other brand that i keep forgetting the name of), it might not be as bad, atleast according to what i've heard on this board. I've tried lots of guitars and mandolas with piezos though, and never found it to be a problem. Perhaps you can't compare the two. Can't help you, sorry. The reason _I_ wouldn't get the lightwave, is that from the soundclips I've heard, they really have that lightwave sound that's not very generic. If you like it - great, but I prefer more traditional tone.

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If you do get a fretted with piezo, you can always turn it off, if you find you don't like the sound you get. It'd be a drag to have wasted money on it, though.

9. Just my opinion, but for a fretless I don't think I would go with tons of switches and knobs. I want my fretless to be organic and simple. I think you would end up with lots of control that you may never use.

Another thought is this... one of the things I would do differently on the DP Custom would be to use jazz style pickups - the soapbars take a lot of real estate and, IMO, detract from the a really nice top.

When I had my Zon fretless with magnetic pickups, it had a piezo. I found it very useful to add a touch of piezo to stand out better in the mix. I liked it and used it often.

Jeff

10. Well, i think i've decided that i'm not going to go with the lightwave, but i also think that i'm going to go with a fretted bass as well. I know there are things that you can do on each that you can't do on the other, and i'm thinking maybe i should go with the fretted anyways.

EDIT: Maybe i will still make it a fretless. Still deciding.

11. I say get the bart quad coils, I got 'em on my DP and they're unbelievable. only thing is, I opted for a 2 band EQ to save money (which at the time was tight), but now we're doin' alright and could have afforded a 3 band. O well. also I don't think you should go with too much more than 2 three way toggles (one per pup). if you went with 2 per pup, I think your in for control overkill. just my opinion.

If you go fretless, I'd go with mahagony, but if you go fretted I'd go with ash. I got ash in mine and I love it. I can make the thing growl like a lion! to get maximum growl I set the quads at "P-bass" or "reverse P" at the neck, and "lower coils" at the bridge. blend it toward the bridge about 60/30, crank up the bass, treble and kaboom!!! grrrrooowwwlll.

another thing to think about like Jeff said, if you got a sweet top and don't want to cover it up with the soapbars, single coils may be the way to go. I found I've been using the quads like single coils more than I thought I would. with the ash it just sounds so good. it's like single coils and ash were made for each other.

12. It's funny, cause i thought to get mahogony on the fretted and ash on the fretless. Can you get a real full sound on your bass, like a deep sound and full sound with the ash core?

13. I guess it just depends on what your after as far as tone. I've always liked a mellow fretless tone (something mahagony should help with). but other people like that "Jaco" fretless tone (ash). so, I'd decide what kind of tone you're after.
    so far I've been able to get just about any tone I want, but when I played at my church last night through the BAM 210, I couldn't escape the growl. I think it's just that the BAM brings out every detail of the tone, and that the "growl" was unmistakeable. but, I also didn't get any time to EQ the BAM to my new bass. I need to get some quality time with the BAM to dial in the sound I want. at home on my amp, I was able to get a nice deep bass tone when both pickups are full humbucking.

14. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Jacos bass was alder, IIRC. But there's more to his tone than the body wood of his bass.

15. yeah, but you get the idea. ash and alder have a lot of the same sound charicteristics, from what I understand.
    it's just pretty much fact that, ash is a punchy slap happy type of tone, where as mahagony is more of a "do all" type of tone. but, again my "do all" is someone elses "dark". it's all subjective. I say listen to a buch of basses made of different wood, find out what you like the best, and go with that one.