Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass should go? Or both.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Sep 5, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Time to make the final decisions. And it's a very hard one at that. One of these, if not both, basses have to go. I can't decide. Which one would you get rid of and why?

1. The Modulus VJ
    2. Alembic Essence.

James

2. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    JR,

If you were to part with both basses, what would you be left with?

I understand your dilema, they're both very fine instruments.

Bones

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Depends. You just got the Smith (congrats :cool: ) and I thought you were on the trail of an MTD 535. If so, I'd say keep the Alembic.

If not, I'd say part with both and get an Alembic Signature bass or 20th Anniv. bass (around $1,600 - 2,200) and then go for your MTD.

Peace,

James

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Way too personal a decision. Entirely up to you;)

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Obviously, a purely subjective call, as Brad says but since you asked for opinions, dump 'em both. You can do better and they're both missing strings, aren't they?:D

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's what I was gonna say;)

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    If you tend more to collecting, I'd keep the Alembic. I would also suspect based on its sound, it would rate higher. If you are trying to raise cash, the Alembic I suspect might be more marketable, but I don't know.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you keep one of them, I would keep the Alembic. It probably sounds different than anything else you own, and if you have a bass that has the J vibe, the Modulus is unneeded, IMHO.

Plus, with the traditionally poor resale value that Alembics have, combined with the soft market that exists at the moment, you would probably take more of a beating on the Alembic.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's what I was gonna say ;)