Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass should I buy next?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harry Lime, Mar 13, 2002.

1. I've been playing bass on and off since August. (The other time is spent playing my electric Mexican Fender and my Jasmine Takamine acoustic.)

The electric bass that I currently own is a Squier P-Bass, a real cheapie that I paid $150 for. Have any of you ever played one of these? There is hardly any tone to it! I mean, all I really have to compare against is the music I listen to. I'm currently using theory books and learning Paul McCartney bass lines. I figured since Paul used a Ric on Revolver until late 1968 and then again in late '69...a brand new Rickenbacker 4003 would be a good choice.

I have small fingers...and aren't Rics known for low-action and narrow necks? I've never played one before...so I know you're going to tell me..."go out and play one and see what you like for yourself." I figured I'd check here first to see what you think. It's either a Ric, Ibanez or a Fender Mexican I think. I just love the look of a Ric....I think at this point anything would sound better than what I have.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    If you're considering popping the $$$ for a Ric then I would suggest you try an American Fender rather than an MIM. I'd love to love Rics, but I don't. They just don't feel right in my hands. And I think you've already figured it out, but go to the music store and spend all day playing basses. You will find one that "speaks" to you. Have fun!

:D