Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xvertirx, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Hey guys,
    I've been playing bass off and on (mostly off) for about 10 years. I have a bass which I really don't like that much. So I want to buy a new bass. I'm looking for something that allows me to play fast. I play heavy metal music mostly. Most of the songs I play are really fast and require me to move around the fretboard real fast. I also use a pick mostly and fingers once in a while.
    I think I would like something with a smaller neck and fretboard because my hands aren't that big. I also want a bass that has the strings very close to the fretboard without rattling so that I don't have to press down on the strings so hard when I'm playing fast notes. Also, are there flat fretboards where the strings are closer to the fretboard? Are they any good? I'm looking to spend around $1,000-$1,500 and maybe more depending on the situation. Please suggest some basses.

Thanks everyone:)

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would recommend going to some shops and trying out a bunch of basses in your price range. See what you like now after the years. Use the information here as a guide.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    What kind of music do you play man?

4. Thanks for the replies. I would like more as well. I play mostly heavy metal or just heavy music in general. My favorite band is TOOL at the moment.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    so i'd say that Spector is the way to go. i am a big fan of Czech spector

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like he wants a used Modulus Quantum w/ Barts. Oh what joyous music they make!

I'd also suggest a Peavey Cirrus (seriously), used Laklands, maybe a used Pedulla...hmn, brain fart, that's all that's coming to mind, though there are a LOT of choices.

7. chrisbs

chrisbs

Jan 12, 2002
    all excellent suggestions, I guess it comes down to playing a few among these and going with what feels best to you

http://www.guitarsearcher.com

8. I'm really leaning towards the music man stingray. But I haven't gotten to play any of these yet. I played my friends Warwick Thumb Bolt on last night (24 frets I think) it was custom made. IT was really sweet. super long neck and nice thin neck with a flat fretboard. I don't really care for the long neck though.

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Definately check out a used Lakland 4-94,, great bass. I also love the Sterling,, I would recommend it over the Stingray,, slimmer neck and more tonal options. Maybe a Modulus Jazz bass?? I havent played one,, but I've heard they're quite interesting.

10. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    A used Ibanez SR1305!

11. So whats the difference between these two? I noticed the Sterling has a smaller width on the neck and I like that better than the stingray. What else is different? BTW I loved them both I tried them out today.