Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass should i get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leftyguy81, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Musicman Sterling

65 vote(s)
    67.0%
  2. Fender American Deluxe Jazz

32 vote(s)
    33.0%
  1. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    Seeing as i am left-handed- my options are limited, but i have narrowed down my next bass to one of the next 2......#1....musicman sterling lefty, or #2 Fender American deluxe jazz bass lefty....I play loud aggresive punk/hardcore......bass tones i am trying to acheive are Anti-flag, bouncing souls, MXPX...(if anyone here is familiar with these bands). both basses cost roughly the same....what do YOU think?

2. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Sterling

Natural, black pickgaurd either rosewood or maple. Maple might be TOO bright, but try what you like most.

3. you can't go wrong with either of them, but go with the sterling cause its something SEMI-DIFFERENT. i have nothing against fender american deluxe series though.

4. That is a really tough call, but I said the jazz. I used to play a deluxe series and it was incredible, it was my first semi-expensive bass though so I thought it was just great. From the fast neck to the active electronics, everything was just quality. I just traded my T-Bird to pick up a music man (Stingray) and again I'm blown away at the high quality and excellent sound. I've played Sterlings as well and just love them. You will be happy with either of the two.

5. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I would be more inclined towards the Sterling, and if you wait a little more, you can get a two pickup model that will blow away a Jazz bass. Seriously. I have owned 3 StingRays and 2 Jazz basses and I kept a StingRay. The Sterling are great...I dig the smaller body and the Ernie Ball quality control is much better than Fender (unless you go Custom Shop). Also, if you play in a band with loud guitar players, the MusicMan will cut through and give you a punch that you just don't get with jazz basses. Even the deluxe models - I tried one not too long ago and wasn't really into it.

Yes, I am a MusicMan whore. Have been since 1977. When I was buying my first real pro bass, it was between a Jazz and a Ric. Then I tried a StingRay and it was all over. I've owned over 15 basses in my life and have one - an '87 StingRay.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sterling

7. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    If the sterling 2 pickup models were available right now i would get one for sure. But as i am left handed...they arent even available for order anytime in the near future so the earlyiest i could get one would the summer time. Im interested if anyone has played both of these basses...and could give me a comparison?

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    holy sh!it!! what a hell of a coincidence!! I AM WITH THIS SAME DOUBT!!! In February Im gonna travel to Canada and buy one of those two...I will decided by the neck feeling what i consider the most important factor

9. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

Sterling...I know Mike from MxPx uses stingrays exclusively.

10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Well...like many people already said, the 2 are great...so get the one which neck feels better

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    IMHO, the Sterling has a harder bite, that probably lends itself to punk... Both great basses, sure.

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Both are great axes. Fender has really cleaned up their act and their new American Series are great. The Deluxe models are even better. But pound for pound, I have to say MM Sterling smokes the Jazz Deluxe even in a single humbucker axe. If you can wait until the summer for a 2 pickup Sterling, it may be worth it. Then again, the single pickup in that sweet spot is all you really need whether you play punk or jazz for that matter. Just the neck alone on the Sterling slays me. It’s like the best Jazz neck you ever tried except it’s that way on every Sterling you pickup. And if you get that gun oil/wax finish thingy they do…whoa…butter!

r

13. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    Sterling is going to have the MxPx type of tone, but I know Chris #2 from Anti-Flag uses a Fender Jazz of some sort, just for your information.

14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I'm going to go against the grain and vote for the jazz. I have two American Deluxe Fenders and I have more karma with them than any Musicman I ever played. They're great axes. Now if you're talking about the dual pickup model Sterling...
    anyway, you can't make a mistake with either one.

15. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Neither.

Wishnevsky.

:eek::rollno::bag:

16. i'm a bit baised in this thread cus i really dont like fenders and i love musicmans. although i have a stingray, i would say the sterling is the better bass here. go for it all the way.

17. I use AMD jazz. It's a dream. I don't like musicman necks. Both basses sound great, but i find jazz basses more flexible, with a wider tonal range.

18. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    I would reccomend trying to play them both, mess around with them get a feel for the and their tones, decide on that.

19. leftyguy81

leftyguy81

Nov 11, 2005
    I really wish i could do that, but the only left handed bass ANYONE carries in stock is the standard fender. or extremely rare used stingray.

20. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Are you talking about the Music Man Stingray or the Sterling? I'm not a big P-bass neck fan either and that's basically a Stingray. The Sterling, however, has a J-style neck but with that broken in feel and a finish that’s silky-smooth to the touch. The birdseye maple is mighty purdy too! If you dig a Jazz neck, you have to love the Sterling.

r