Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Mar 20, 2002.

Which bass?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2003.
  1. Ken Smith BSRMS

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Ken Smith BSRM

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Ken Smith BSRMW

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Spector NS-4

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Spector NS-5XL

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Between high-end Spectors and "lower-end" Ken Smiths, which is a smarter choice?

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i would go with the NS-5XL..

buuut... ive never played a ken smith so i dont know how they compare. however, i absolutely love spector basses. i was very very impressed with the LOWER class spectors. the usa models just blew me away.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This looks like a good candidate for Basses. Yep.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Unfortunately I don't know anything about Ken Smith basses, we just don't get to see them here!!!

I have a Czech Spector and I voted for the NS-5XL!! But only get that if you need/want a 5 stringer!

I must admit I envy you your choices. I love Spectors, I have a Czech and a Korean - both brilliant basses. Although I'd love to get an American one to complete my collection (well keep itr going rather than complete):D :D

5. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Keeping in mind that I already have a bass with dual coil pickups (very spector sounding)....

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I would've said it's just a matter of your own pref, but if you have a "spectorish" bass already, then by all means go for a Smith. Variety is cool.

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I played a 20th Anniversary Smith 5 string, and loved it. Very rich tone, very fast neck. B string was a little on the floppy side, though.

8. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    To my knowledge (I apologize for any incorrect information), Ken Smith only had 20th century Jazz Ken Smiths. All of the other Ken Smiths have the same humbucking pickups (and fundemental tone) except the jazz basses. Personaly I don't like jazz pickups and naturally I did not like the Smith Jazz basses.

Let's get some more voting please!

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    The bass I played(and I still loathe the fact that i never got specifics on it, it was wonderful) was set up with two J's and a 3 band 9v active/passive electronics system. I still remember the owner telling me it was a 20th or 25th Anniversary KS, however. Either way, however, a great instrument, even before the tone and electronics were considered.