1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass should i get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GilGB, Sep 9, 2008.

1. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
  2. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Stay with whatcha got.

3. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    agreed keep the one you got

4. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    Hmm what is so bad about the Modulus Guitars?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nothing, but neither is there anything wrong with what you have.

6. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

Nov 13, 2007
    I ask the same question to everybody who wants to buy a new bass...Why?? Are you searching for a specific sound?? If thats what your after, be sure to shop around and play as many different basses as you can. You'd be surprised how many inexpensive basses have the same sound as a bass over $2000.

Also, explore different pickups. Changing bass pickups isn't as popular as changing electric pickups and I think thats a mistake. Spend a few hundred on some good pickups and it will transform your cheap bass into an all star. People will wonder how you get such a great sound from an inexpensive instrument.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that a more expensive instrument will make you sound better. Any decent musician can see past the gear and hear what you really sound like.

If I were you, I would keep the bass you have and use the cash for an amp or or get another bass thats not as expensive. I know a guy who owns a Ken Smith 6 string and a Squire Jazz Bass. He plays the Squire 90% of the time.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I couldn't agree more. If you're just doing the GAS thing, then save your $$ and practice more. If you just can't resist the urge to do SOMETHING, buy an effects pedal; Try new strings... Anything but wasting thousands of dollars chasing something that some practice could bring you.

That is, of course, if your current axe plays decently. If it's a POS, that's another story altogether...

I'd also suggest you consider your level of play. If you've only been playing a few years, then don't break the bank on something like a Modulus - They are very nice but very spendy. Get a solid used Fender/MM - something like that. Remember that some of the greatest players EVER played very low-tech, non-too-beautiful basses and made history with them.

8. GilGB

GilGB

Aug 14, 2007
    I always liked the idea of a graphite neck,and i loved the idea of the Flea bass,sort of Musicman Stingray with a graphite neck.
    If i will replace my pickups,what would you say about Bartolini?
    About the Amp and Pedals issue,right now i got an Ashdown MAG C-115-300W and about the pedalboard i got:
    EBS MultiComp
    EBS MultiDrive
    EBS OctaBass
    Chunk Sytems Agent00funk Mark II
    and thats it for now.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds to me like you're all set then. Nice bass, good amp, and pedals. Maybe put your money in a set up for the bass, new strings and a good set up would work wonders. Otherwise, if you're set on a new bass, go play a bunch of them.

10. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    It's always fun to get a new bass. I love going to as many places as possible and trying new things out. I have, however, discovered that, when playing a new bass that I have taken home, sometimes I don't like the features that may have appealed to me in the short run: in other words, I may like a bass with a fat neck at g.c., but I may find it to be tiresome after playing it for some time at home.

Your Fender will probably be your "home" bass -- you are used to its features and capabilities. Is there something more you want from it?
    - Are you unhappy with tone choices?
    - Do you wish string spacing was more/less?
    - Is there some something about the bass that gets
    annoying: shape is uncomfortable, for example.
    - Etc.

All this being said, I plan on having only 1 bass (custom) built exactly to what I would like, but when I had 5 or 6 basses, I found myself playing the one that was most comfortable all the time because it was more enjoyable to play around with.

Get the Mod or whatever you are considering if your bass isn't cutting it or you would like a change of pace...Hell, even if you think it will give you some stage presence style points :) Nothing, however, is as important as the fun you get from whatever bass you play (Aye, aye Captain Obvious :p)

11. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

Nov 13, 2007
    It looks like you have a great setup as far as your amp and effects go. I will say one thing about the modulus bass with the carbon neck. It is a lot more sturdy and lighter weight. One of the main reasons that Flea switched to that bass is because RHCP was doing a lot of outdoor gigs and that particular bass isn't effected by weather the way a normal wood bass would be. If you play outdoor than it will be a good buy.

Honestly whatever you do, you will have a great rig. Fender of Modulus are both great basses.

12. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

Nov 13, 2007
    Oh yeah...Definately thumbs up on the bartolini pickup!!!! That would be a great choice!!