Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass should I go for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Okay, hello all.

I'm buying a new bass (two actually, as I'm also gonna buy a Marcus Miller Jazz bass), although I'm at loggerheads regarding the other bass of which to buy...

Should I go for the yamaha John myungII bass, or the yamaha TRB1006?

Here they are...

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Yamaha-RBXJM2,-Plum-Pearl-Metallic~ID~3443.asp

and....

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Yamaha-TRB1006,-Natural~ID~3318.asp

Whcih one should I go for? I like a nice aggressive tone, but also a versatile side, as I also have the occasional forray into Jazz, but most of the time I'm playing Rush and whatnot.

Also, for those familiar with the solo works of Stuart Hamm, I'm looking for a bass which would be suitable to use for his tapping style.

Okay, if you need anymore information regarding which one I should go for, tell me and I'll tell you what you need to know!

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sorry about the bump.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dude, 57 minutes between bumps isn't going to get you much of an answer. Anybody in Europe is likely in bed or getting ready for bed and anyone in the US either just got home from work or is still at work. Have patience and you'll get your answer soon enough.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Sorry, I'm just a little jittery after having my faith in the MyungII deflated...

5. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    i played the five string versions of both, the trb had a far bigger neck than the other, nice tones though. if you could handle it, go for it. the b on the myung was floppy.

i know there''s no myung 5, i'm referring to the five string model based on his, same but with an extra pickup.

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm used to playing a BTB405Qm, and that has a very wide neck on it, for a 5 string, so the extra girth of the TRB won't be a problem, in fact, it would be more of a blessing, because I want to develope my double thumbing.

Which is better in overall? In terms of tones/playability/whatever?

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hm...Stu Hamm...Hm...Never heard of that guy :D

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Excuse me if this seems a little...n00bish :(

But is Geddy Lee of Rush, or a user with his name?

Ah ha, Pardon me, I had not thought to check his user profile :p

9. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Hey Chris

The TRB1006 is a little more fexible than the JM2. It has a more flexible preamp and two pickups, so more sounds.
    The JM2 however is my favorite of the two. It is smaller in scale lenght and the string spacing is smaller as well. The S. Duncan pickup sounds really good aswell. So if you play mainly rock, then JM2 would be my recomendation. Of course you can tap on it aswell, just look at John Myung.

Peik

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I was set on buying the JMII, but then concerns about its quality were raised by another talkbass user who I know over MSN, as he had heard that they were pretty poor and nothing special. The extra scale length of the TRB is not a problem, I'll just be dropping the action to accomodate tapping and DT'ing.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Yep! I'm the REAL Geddy... :ninja: :bag:

12. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    Always thought the quality of the JMII was good, but maybe the woods used on the TRB1006 is of a better quality I don´t know.

But defeneatly give both a try.

Peik