Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BHuntsalot, Jan 17, 2005.

1. BHuntsalot

Nov 3, 2004
    Finances call for hard decisions. I am between a rock and a hard place financially and I am going to have to part with one of two basses. I was wanting to get your opinion. Here is how they stack up.

Fender MIM Jazz 4 string-- With upgraded SD quarter pound bassline pickups. The action is as perfect as I could hope it to be and the upgraded pickups really boosted the sound. It has more of a vintage sound to it. It was bought brand new and the frets are dressed nicely. It is in mint condition and easy to play on the Jazz neck.

OLP Spector 5 string-- It has the quilted maple top in transparent blue color. The action needs tweaked some as it is a little high. Its not as comfortable as the Fender on the neck because it is a little wider for the 5 string. However, I would take this uncomfort to keep the 5 string as I like having the lower B string. This OLP is definately more pleasing to my eye to look at and has the double soapbar EMG SSD pickups in it which I really dig the sound. This bass was purchased used. It has some scratches and a couple dings but nothing that looks bad or noticeable.

Which should I part with. I have stated my feelings about each one and what I feel when playing them as best as I can. My wife saids one has to go. Thanks for the help.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Keep the Fender, no contest.
  3. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
  4. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Tell the wife that half of her shoes have to go.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Uhh... if it were me, the wife would go. And I'm not kidding.
  6. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    She must not understand the fact that they sound totally different and you have every reason to have both... My girlfriend asks me why I have to keep buying basses when I have 3 ... well... why does she need more then 7 outfits? 1 for each day of the week seems reasonable..
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would use shoes as a better comparison. Clothes get dirty and you have to wash them. Shoes ,not so much.
  8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

tough choice ...
    keep basses ... possibly losing the wife ... Fender or OLP ... wow.
    i'd keep the Fender . :D
  9. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    ^^that or....

Play a gig with each bass..that should help your decision.
    but i'd keep the Fender
  10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    do you play the 5 for the B? do you need a five? if not keep the Fender, if so, keep the olp.
  11. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
  12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Even in the toughest financial moments (and God knows I had some, and often really tough...), my wife never decided any element of my musical equipment had to go. That's a question of respect of what is for me a lifetime passion (as well as I fully respect all of her own passions).

Sorry if my input sounds a bit brutal, but I wanted to be fully sincere with you.

Over all, I wish everything's going to get better for you, and prevent you from selling any of your basses for financial reasons...

13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't know your financial situation, but neither bass is going to bring in THAT much dough. You can get a MIM jazz like yours on eBay for $300 - $350 bucks. $350 is nothing to sneeze at, but is selling a bass and taking a loss really the answer?
  14. Best advice yet.
  15. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    how much could you get for your wife?
  16. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Heh, I'm going to make sure my wife realizes that my music comes before most things. That's to say, if I ever get married :p

Maybe you should try explaining that neither can be sold, or that if one *MUST* go, so must 1/2 her most important things...

17. Just go through your house, you'll probably have enough crap lying around that you can get rid of and keep both basses. I heard about a guy who just sold whatever he could get his hands on through ebay (dirty socks, half-eaten tacos, etc.) and he made plenty of money :p
  18. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Keep the Fender. If it makes you feel any better I sold some gear this year and it was AWFUL! Good luck and what ever you do dont sell the wife....they are hard to find.
  19. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Before I got married 10 years ago this March I made it very clear that music is first. I agree with a previous post, it's not going to make a huge dent in the debt by selling either one of the basses described. The fender might grab 300 off of either evilbay or here. How old is the jazz?

The OLP wouldn't be worth selling becuase of it's resale value. So if you are in a REAL pinch you will have to sell the Jazz to make any money and then when you get out of your pinch buy another one and hope it will contend. The MIM's are hit and miss, I had an 85 that was killer and a 86 that blew.

Tough choice. Good luck.