Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass string(s) have you broken?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 20, 2004.

1. B

16 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. E

70 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. A

41 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. D

46 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. G

78 vote(s)
    44.1%
  6. C

10 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. I have never broken a bass string in my life.

53 vote(s)
    29.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ever broke a bass string while playing? Which one(s)?
    You can vote for more than one in this poll.

2. I've broken my E string 3 times in my life. Once was when i first played my used roscoe out, i had a burr on the saddle and it snapped. The other two times were when i just waited entirely too long to change strings because i was broke.

My band plays out about 4 nights a week and we do 3 hours worth of music so i put a lot of playing time in and i tend to dig in rather hard on my E and A strings when i'm playing and those are the two strings i use most ofter which would explain why they are the only two i've ever broken.

3. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    If I remember correctly I have twice broken a g-string while playing and once a d-string and once a e-string.

In all instances the strings broke at the saddle while I was playing my Blade J-bass. The strings may also have been old at the time.

I sometimes tended to dig in too hard, especially if the groove was good, but I have since lightened my touch, and it is a long time since I broke a string.

Z

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a very agressive player, broke the D and the G twice each, the E and the A never, but I managed to break a B string too...don't ask. On DB I managed to break a D string playing pizzicato, but the strings were about 40 years old :p

5. E and A because they get played the most. Most of my earliest ones were because the brigde saddles were not large enough for the strings (Rickenbacker-used a "rat tail" file to fix that) so they broke at the bridge. Then I started having strings that broke somewhere near the middle of the string (DR Highbeams) which doesn't make any sense unless they were breaking at a pressure point like where the string meets a fret. Maybe it is because I really like to dig in and have high action with slight neck relief = high tension (which is also a good way to keep wimpy guitar players away from your axe - its not that easy to play).

6. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    The E string twice. Both times, I was coincidentally using my fingers. The most recent one, I was playing w/out enuf power and I had to really dig in there to be heard. I was also bending slightly at the time, so maybe that helped. In any case, I was pretty stoked, both times. :D

7. I've only broken 1 G ever.

I was playing my squier really rough, outside, and unplugged. So to hear myself I was slapping and popping way to hard, and I was playing Antipop, and the G just broke.

I did keep note that they were boomers, and never to buy them again, I'm a DR man now. ;)

Kaz :rolleyes: :smug:

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Never broken a string.

9. I've broken all of my strings before, all at the bridge - I have an extremely aggressive technique that I'm trying to tone down, but before I learned how to slap in a civilized manner, I managed to go right through my E string and bash my thumb off the corner of the neck pickup. That was a lasting bruise, I'll tell ya.

Advice: If you are an aggressive player, DO NOT buy Dean Markley Blue Steel strings. They will all break in under 6 months, whereas my current set of Rotosounds has lasted me a good while now.

(Edit: Got my "brands that start with D" mixed up for a minute.)

10. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD
    I've broken them all at one time or another. Mostly A strings by rotosound. :bassist:

11. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Darn that Stu Hamm solo in Astrotraveler!!!!

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I broke an A string once, but only because the string had gouged the bridge saddle. I stopped using that brand (Markley roundwounds) and never had a broken string again.

I still have a set of D'Addarios on a Danelectro that I put on in 1978. Bass strings are pretty fat, you really have to work at breaking them.

13. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    The only string I've ever broken was an E on a set of Warwick steels (not sure of the color). Granted, it was from the set that came on my bass (used), but they seemed pretty fresh.... Didn't like how they sounded anyways ;)

14. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Pretty sure I have broken all EADG strings atleast once. I used EB slinkies and although they were nice strings, the G string couldn't handle me visiously slapping/popping. Busted a GHS A string about a week ago. I remember breaking E strings playing punk/metal aggressively with a pick, but I havn't snapped a E string in several years (that I can remember anyways). Can't remember breaking a D string, but I'm sure I have done so atleast once.

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I've only broken two strings.

The first time a string broke on me was the G string. It was old and I was digging in really hard. That string snapped apart hard enough to leave a welt on my right forearm.

the second (and last to date) time was the E string. Again i was digging in harder than i should have on an old string, and it broke. Strange that it just kinda weakly popped in half and fell. For some reason I thought the E string would be under higher tension than the others. Go figure.

16. First bass + very crappy tuner - knowing what I was doing = 2 E's broken in a week. :rolleyes:

17. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Oh wait! I lied! I've broken two. When I first started playing bass (1980?), I tuned my EKO an octave high (remember, I had just started playing bass :D ) and sure enough one of the old flats snapped. Fortunately the neck didn't snap.

I recently had a Carvin string break as I was bringing it up to pitch for the first time. It was the E, and as I got close to pitch, the core broke. I'm sure Carvin would have replaced it, but I just threw 'em away.

This brings me to a pet peeve of mine: didja ever notice how on the string package it tells you not to wrap the wound part around the tuner post? What, I got a choice? :spit: For a 34" scale bass, I buy long-scale strings. Some wrap the E-string post, some don't.

18. lol snapped 2 g-strings once cos of my stupid older tuner lol. i hated havin to buy a new one cos i knew how it would sound "can i have a new g-string please" lol :p

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

E, A, D, and G. I've only been playing 5-string since Y2K, so I'm sure a broken B is in my future.

Seriously, I don't break strings very often... maybe six or seven over the course of 25 years.

20. I broke a D string on my bass, I slapped just a little too hard. :hyper: