1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Bass to buy for intermediate?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nobulljj86, Sep 9, 2008.

1. I am leaning strongly toward the Fender Jazz Bass either American or Korean made.

I heard Ibanez make really good basses too, but I don't know which ones.

Could anyone please inform me and give me some advice on which bass to buy?

My budget is between 400-1000$.
    Used ones are fine. I found Fender Jazz American for 800$.

2. dsDodgers

dsDodgers Banned

Sep 7, 2008
    sunny so cal
    used

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Definitely go used. I know a ton of people around here (including me) play Fender. The jazz bass is referred to as one of the most versatile basses ever. What style of music do you play?

4. Best is to go to a good music store and check them all out (now Guitar Center, at least here in Silicon Valley) is a decent place to find and test gear, even purchase as their prices are good.

You will get tons of advice, but the best advice is to try bass guitars out and find one you like to play as well as having the sound you want.

PS: I prefer Ibanez bass guitars, you get a lot for the money.

5. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    I just played a new Fender Jazz 24 today. I REALLY liked it. Not normally a jazz bass fan, but the extended range (24 fret) neck and active preamp made for a really sweet sound. Also, love the rear mounted controls! At the $700 new price, not bad at all. I also saw a used one on e-bay for less than $500. If I hadn't commissioned a new custom, thats what I would be buying (and I still might, muwhahahaha).

6. atlboriqua

atlboriqua

Nov 13, 2007
    I would reccommend a schecter stilletto diamond series bass. I bought one of these once I needed to get something better than my beginner bass and man it was worth it!!! Brand new it retails for about $550. It has a great deep sound and a warm tone in the upper registry. If you play slap you can get a good slap sound out of it too.

7. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I was going to recommend a G&L Tribby but the prices just went through the roof! Get a used one :D

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Ibanez or Spector for me. Used is even better.

9. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    I'd ask what have you already tried, and how did it sound to your ears? I could certainly recommend some things, but that's based on my ears and my preferences rather than yours. Take some time to look around at whatever's in your price range and buy that which sounds and plays best to you.

10. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    you should try a cirrus, you can find a use one for less then a 800, and is much better well made then most of basses in this price range, surely more then a stock fender.

11. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    a Lakland 01 series would rock as well and used are pretty cheap

12. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    +1 on lakland.

there was a sweet skyline joe osborne in the classifieds last time i checked. quick, get it so i don't have to look at it anymore :bawl:

14. dude what is up with that???

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1 I had a Schecter Stiletto bass - not sure if it was the Diamond series, but it had a sweet natural top finish. Very playable and I think it retailed for like $440 or something. Great beginners basses. Also Ibanez's perfect for beginners. My friend just got one and he's starting to play bass for the first time in his live - he's amazed by how well it plays.

16. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Thats a pretty wide price range you have there. Are you leaning towards a Jazz Bass because you want one or because its a "must-have" item. If you want a Jazz because you LOVE Jazz basses, get the nicest one you can afford. The American Std. or American Dlx models are really nice and will serve you for decades, not just as an intermediate player. Don't be afraid of the Lakland Jazz models (JO and DJ) either.

But, don't feel like you HAVE to have a Jazz bass if its not what you really want. There are so many choices just between $700 and $1000 that you really have to play as many different instruments as possible and see what grabs you. Especially if you go used. In your price range, you can get any USA G&L, Spector Euro or Rebop, Lakland Skyline, Warwick Corvette, or Musicman and probably a bunch of other great instruments I'm not remembering.

17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    If you're strongly leaning toward a Jazz and you've played several and compared them to other basses in your price range, then buying one sounds like the right idea, at least knowing only the few lines you typed in this post. There is NOTHING wrong with that choice.

Is it the best choice? Well, ask 100 different people and you'll get 100 different answers. However, it is a very versatile instrument that has proven itself over time. If you're happy with the Jazz then buy one with confidence that you made a very good choice. And if you buy used then you can always sell it in the future and get back a large percentage of what you paid for it (assuming you took good care of it). And if you want to keep it and mod it there are loads of aftermarket options for it. And if you love it then keep it as is. And ... the possibilities are endless.