which bass to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Billyjoe3969, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Billyjoe3969

Nov 4, 2002
    I have saved up money for a few weeks and i have about 250 bucks saved up, i have been searrching for a new bass and i have narrowed it down to two guitars, the olp mm2 4 string or essex bg-180 which one is the better buy, pr dopes anyon have a better suggestion for my price range?
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have heard much better things about the essex. Much better than the OLP. I have played the OLP, and I was not that impressed. So I would say, go with the Essex.

And this should be in the basses section, not the bassists section.
  3. Give it to me.

Or spend it on the SX, lots of fans of SX's here.
  4. Save up another $50 and buy a Fender J-bass.

Or you could use the money you have now to get a used J-bass.
  5. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i own an olp mm and before you buy one please read this, it has a very chunky neck,i own 2 fenders and it is alot meatier than them,i've been playing bass for just about a year now and have an experianced luthier and famous musician as a teacher( i.m not bragging by any means) so what i'm telling you is what he told me and i can vouch for it cause i play the bass(only when i have to) now for the tech stuff: there is a problem with the geomotry of the bass,i had to have a custom string guide made to remove a lite rattle in the bass,i tried others at different stores and they all had a similar rattle or buzz, the neck goes out of whack often, i am lucky that my teacher fixes it for free,it took many different types of trial and error with the types of strings to get a nice "feel" the position of the bridge made the strings very tight in order to tune properely,i had to go with lite gauge strings,(i preffer med to hev) BUT on the other hand when its all set up properly it pays nt to shabby, my issue and to make a long story short, if you are a begginer or dont have alot of experience adjusting basses,or a person to do it for cheap, get a bass thats not as NEEDY , for 250.00 you can get a used fender p or j bass in good condition on ebay, matter of fact i bought a new p bass for that price and a excellent j bass fore that price(used) i hope i didnt confuse you, and this was my experence and opinion , please dont get offended if you do not agree.:bassist:
  6. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH