Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass to fit the bill?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Feb 4, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    alrighty then - so in my camp there is my main pair of 4s, juxtaposed in sound - the fretted Blonde (maple) bass is nice and hifi, almost zingy, while the fretless with flats is pure thick thump. Between these two basses almost all my musicality is satisfied.

Now, enter a 5-string Bongo. And while the tones are *very* versatile, I got it for the "with-a-B" version of what I do on the Blonde 4, like hard rock, slapping, Tool, etc. So I'd also like a second fiver to oppose that as well - something darker, more woody... Which and why or why not?

- Warwick Dolphin Pro 5
    - Benavente 51P

or maybe...
    - Barker Vertical bass (I liked the idea of a fretted, 34"scale EUB, okay?)

thx!
    dave

2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I'd say the warwick sound IS darker IMHO, but I am sure Mr. Benevente could voice a bass darker than warwick if asked. I also find that a good piezo can either darken (woody up) tone or in bad cases, add unwanted fingernoise. Mr Rick Turner's new system is GREAT.

As people will argue about woods I have also found that darker color woods tend to sound darker. Walnut and bubinga are great for a darker sound. I prefer the Walnut myself. Of course electronics make a diff...

If you are talkin big bucks you should consider ordering new from a dealer or something for your tonal needs. Sounds like you've been browsing the lowend.net

Mr. Barrett's got some good deals

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    alder or mahogany 51 with a pair of 'quad-coils' or the dual coils from Suhr (I'm getting the Suhr dual in my fretless being built).