Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass to get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkey144, Oct 31, 2005.

1. So, just on a whim, heres a question. I'm looking at getting another bass, but I'm not sure where to go. First off, let me share my playing style/influences. My major influences are James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Paul McCartney, and the bass player from Chase (no idea what his name is). The stuff I normally play, whether at school or just for fun/jams is usually blues, jazz, BIG swinging jazz, rock, and funk. By funk, I mean stuff like Sly, Motown, James Brown stuff. You know, stuff that holds the groove, and keeps it funky. I'm looking into getting into slap styled stuff ala Earth, Wind and Fire, etc. But I want the bass to be able to still go back to sounding low and thumpy, or jazz/blues-ish. I was thinking a Fender Jazz. The strings also present a problem. Right now, I play on the Jamerson Labellas (God I love them), and I still want to use flatwounds, maybe. I've heard good things about the LaBella black nylons and Rotosound strings though. So any input on anything would be greatly appreciated.

2. how much are you looking to spend?

3. Sounds like a P bass might be right up your alley as well.

4. As to money, between $400-600

As to the P Bass, I already have that covered. I took an Essex-57, replaced all the electronics, threw in some '62 reissue p-ups, jamerson labellas, and some ash trays and got a vintage looking, growly p bass. It sounds great, but due to the labellas, the action is high, just like Jamersons. (I did that on purpose, see.) Plus the ashtrays get in the way a bit when I slap. Thus my dilemma.

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Look for a good Jazz bass. With that and your P-bass, youll have a good deal of the basses covered when it comes to sound.

6. +1. I was just headed that way to say that.

7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    If you can find a Geddy lee jazz used, your set.

8. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    +1 on the SX love. I just bought the SX 62 Jazz with the matching blue headstock and I've already gotten nothing but compliments on the sound. I'm thinking about adding a P to my arsenal to cover more vintage tones. Since you've already had a good experience with SX, I'd get a Jazz or a PJ and trick it out.

BTW you should be able to set the action a bit lower with the higher tension strings. Let the amp do the work. :bassist:

9. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd say get another P-bass. You can pick up a nice MIJ reissue for less than 400 used. Set it up with rounds and a low action and you have a different bass. I have five Ps and they all speak differently to me.

Good luck

10. thanks for all the input. this helps loads.

11. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Fender MIM 60's Classic Jazz w/Thomastik Flatwounds.

12. Quelm

Quelm

Oct 18, 2005
    A P/J combo might be what you need.

13. I think a Jazz Bass would serve you well. I'd suggest looking on eBay for a USA Hamer 2TEK CruiseBass. You can usually find one available for ~$500. They are extremely well made, using the best materials and parts..."the best Jazz Bass Fender never made." String it up with a set of D'Addario Chrome flats and you're good to go. This is the voice of experience speaking!