1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass to get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by styx428, Apr 26, 2010.

1. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    Ok im looking to get a new bass. i dont have a job so i dont have much money to spend. im looking in the 500 - 700 range.

two basses that im looking at now are the Fender Standard J-Bass. and the Sterling by Music Man Ray 34.

My band plays alternative (i know thats a wide range but its the only close genre to explain ourselves.)

Any input on those basses or possibly suggestions for other basses??

2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    You should try getting that job first bro.

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    What's wrong with your current bass?

4. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Nevermind, youre 14. Get a Squire Classic Vibe. Thats what everybody here is gonna tell you and they are right.

5. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    not old enough yet. the second i can im getting a job. i know that those are'nt the greatest options and id much rather get an american standard j-bass

6. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    nothings wrong with it to the pint where its not good enough. but i need to have a bass for a second tuning on stage, and the cable input is very loose so i get unplugged if i dont tape it in

7. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    It's almost May, you're 14.... oh to think of the money I used to make mowing lawns.

8. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Find a used jazz on the talkbass classifieds save the rest of the money for a good amp.

9. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    all my neighbors are old and hire people to mow their lawns. i mow mine for some money.

is the squire better then the fender standard?? and i dont need a good amp i like the one i have now

10. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    According to the guys at my local store the Music Man(s) have the distinct advantage of maintaining their tuning far better than most of their competition. It's down to the fact that the string runs perfectly straight from the headstock to the bridge.
    Now most here will rave about the Fenders, how they sit in the mix etc, and if you read around long enough you'll find most of them have drank the Kool-Aid on this. Not that they're a poor choice, just common is all.
    That said here's what you must do TRY THEM IN A HEAD TO HEAD SETTING
    See how the neck feels on each, how they sit, strap on and standing, are they comfy when seated, how cool is the colour etc.
    After all your laying out someones hard earned cash and it's a must to make an informed decision based on a true shoot out that only you can perform.
    Now if you're nervous about playing in a store that's known to have less than stellar sales help, or is crowded, go on a Tues around 4:00 PM and be frank with the hired help. Tell them flat out that one of these two instruments is coming home with me, I just don't know which one. Show 'em the cash idf need be to establish your serious, but firmly request your space to find out which one is tonights winner, savvy?

11. The CV Squier is every bit as good as the Fender Standard and a heck of a lot cheaper. Trust me on this. :)

12. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    ok thanks for the advice. ill try to find time to do that.

13. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    I just bought a Squier Vintage modified jazz bass and I LOVE IT.I could have bought a Sterling or a Standard Jazz but I got something for half the price.Next time your at a GC I would highly suggest checking them out.

14. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    what makes it just as good, just overall playability. sorry im just a little skeptical of getting a squire when i can get a fender. but i havent played them a lot either.

15. You'd only be wasting money for the name on the headstock when the bass is just as good. (I think better actually) You're getting the same quality of parts but just for less because it's got the Squier name on it. You'll just have to play them both and see what I mean. The Classic Vibe just feels and sounds like a bass that costs a lot more.

16. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    It is half the price and it sounds about the same.I usually am a Ibanez snob and I use to hate everything fender.It is really easy to play and its pretty comfortable.

But if you really want either the Fender or the Sterling then I would go for the Sterling.
    What kind of style do you play?

I also like the all maple neck with the big black inlays but thats just my taste

17. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    i play a heavyier alternative. but we do range into almost a RATM esque style. idk its hard to explain.

18. try to find a good GNL L200 Tribute USED. Tons of tone and flexability for any gig.

19. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    I think (this is just my opinion) that the sterling is more versitile.It sounds good slapping,fingering,and picking.

But I still like the Squire more.
    Eaglemoon was right when he said that you really are just paying the extra few hundred bucks just for a diffrent sticker on the headstock

20. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    ok thanks to everyone for your input. im gona have to GC and make my final decision. but seriously thanks becuase i probably wouldnt even of considered trying the squire