1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass to get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by styx428, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Both are good basses but basically it comes down to whatever you personally like the best. We can recommend things but you'll only know when you actually have them in your hands whether you like them or not. Bass preference is a very personal thing. I love the feel of the Sterlings (and have owned one) but I just can't get along with the tone. It just doesn't fit what I hear in my head as "my" bass tone. So get out there and try some stuff out. :)

2. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    Yeah sure no problem.Just never try to become a brand snob because you will just hurt yourself.I also would suggest that you check out the Ibanez Sr 300 they are pretty nice as well.

Have fun

3. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toxic, Maryland
    My advice - go to GC and try the Jazz, try a real Musicman (Stingray or Sterling), and try a Precision. Then buy the one you like best used here on TB Forums from someone with alot of good feedback. You should be able to stay close to your budget that way. The only way to go!

4. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    i dont know wheter i want to buy used. it would have to be in very good condition. i dont want to end up buying a used peice of crap

5. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    Actually do you do any slapping?If you don't then I would suggest a p-bass squire or fender.I play a little bit of everything weather its Tool,Primus,Alice in chains,or Led Zeppelin.

6. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    not in my band but yeah i do by myself and when i mess around with friends.

7. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
  8. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Squire Vintage Modified Jazz - I don't own one but seem to pick one up every time I go to a music store and wonder why I haven't bought one yet. From my limited music store experience with them they seem to be great basses.

The Sterling I've played as well - in the same manner as the Squire - and it seems to also be an affordable option to the actual MM. Lots of reviews on it are saying that it's pretty tough soundwise to distinguish the Sterling from the MIA MM.

Either way both are good basses but just like has been said in this thread, find them and play them and see how they fit you and what you're wanting. My own suggestion that I haven't seen in this thread is the Highway One series by Fender. Used you can probably find them in the $500ish range. My local music store is selling them for $699 which seems to be about $100 cheaper than what I find online. I've played both the P's and J's and have developed a pretty monstrous case of GAS for both.

Good luck with the hunt!

9. bassplayer83192

bassplayer83192 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    Well did you choose a bass?

10. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    not yet im going to GC withinh the next week or so. so ill post what i got when i buy it.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Find a used G&L, if you're absolutely bent on a Fender. At least that way you'll be getting an "Actual" Fender. lol

For the style you play, I am finding it hard not to recommend a second hand Peavey DynaBass. You can get them for around $200, they are extremely versatile, have great electronics and awesome skinny necks. Take the money you saved and by the VT pedal or an RBI.

12. styx428

styx428

Apr 25, 2010
    Western NY
    i already have a driver so i dont need the vt. but i am hoping to upgrade my amp if i i save enough money. right now i have a line6 ld150. and i want to get a half stack of some sort