1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which bass to keep

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kyral210, Jan 27, 2012.

1. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Ok, I have seen this ESP LTD B335 and am thinking of selling my Fender American Precision Bass Deluxe to buy it. Here are some photos and sound samples to help run our recommendations:

[​IMG]

3877554773_13d4a6aa06.

Fender sound test: GraphTech Vs. Fender Bass Saddles - YouTube

PLEASE help me

2. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I would personally rather have the P. Is that the help you wanted?

If you would say what you don't have in your current bass that you expect to find in that ESP, then forum members could offer helpful guidance for your situation.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Me too. Not really a fan of LTD stuff, although they do have their following.

4. Artobass

Artobass

Jan 21, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Keep the P

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    the ESP is a 5 string,...

is that what you really want?

otherwise,... the P is very nice! gl

6. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    Keep the Fender.

7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Keep the P.

8. Yep have to say I'd prefer the P aswell

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Fender, no contest. At the end of the day it's your choice. Just remember if you sell the Fender keep the cash difference because you'll need it if you sell the ESP, if re sale value matters to you.

10. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I used to have a Schecter C-5 (5 string bass) which I fitted with EMG 40-P5's. Every day at the moment I wish I still had that bass rather than sell it to get money for the Fender....

Yes, I do want a 5 string BADLY, and active kick ass pickups. The Fender is great in its own way, but its not a metal bass...

Should I still keep the Fender?

11. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Keep the fender. Save some $$ and buy the ESP, they're not that expensive.

12. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Keep the Fender. I played in a metal band for years using a Jazz bass.

13. as much as love esp/ltd basses id say keep the fender
    but if i were to get an ltd id go with a surveyor bass

14. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Every bass is a metal bass with the right EQ, the Fender might just not comply to your tastes. IMO you should keep the Fender, but I'd suggest you first try some available options. Furthermore, what is it exactly that the Fender lacks that the ESP has? They are both active and can deliver a grinding sound (if that is what you are trying to achieve that is).

15. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Never, ever sell a bass that you like. You will one day regret it. Only sell something if you know for a fact you are done with it. Save up and get the ESP down the road. There are very few "once in a lifetime" chances to buy a great bass, and quite frankly for an off-the-shelf ESP there has yet to be one of those moments in the history of the universe.

If it's a question of "keep this or get that" you should always "keep this." The fact that you are asking the question says enough to know you are not done with "this."

Patience.

16. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Do you think my Fender is a once in a lifetime bass? I could buy a 5 string Schecter and customise it for around £300... Just not too sure where the cash would come from

17. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    Follow the crowd and keep the Fender logo or stand out and get what you want, its all up to you, both are good basses, but only you will be playing and living with whatever bass you choose.

I say keep both.

18. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Sitting my the bass as I write this...

[​IMG]

19. countbassiedad

countbassiedad

Apr 29, 2010
    No affiliations
    Some would disagree, but a lot of folks would say that every bass player should have a Fender even if its not their primary axe. If you sell it you will probably buy another down the road.

While saving for something else, you can always string it add an Xtender or string it BEAD and/or put in a more aggressive pickup more fitting you metal. Maybe a Quarter Pounder for example.

20. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    You're just suffering from gas, it'll pass.:)
    I'm sure you can achieve all the metal you need with a maple neck P.
    GL