which bass to make BEAD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Sep 21, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have a Modulus Q5 that I might sell for a Roscoe 5. But until I get it sold and enough money I will need to convert a 4 string to BEAD. I have a Tobias Renegade and a Warwick Corvette for 4 bangers. I was leaning towards the Rengade to be BEAD as I have no idea what I can do with the "adjust-a-nut" on the Warwick. Ideas? Opinions?
  2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I'd chose the Bass with the stiffest neck due to the extra tension the BEAD gauge would create.

I've strung my Warwick BEAD (135 taper B) before with no problem.
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I thought BEAD would cause less tension?

Mods should I have put this in setup?!!? :eyebrow:
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

That's what I was thinking too.
  5. with the same scale length but lower pitches, the tension on the neck tuned to pitch will be lower. thicker guage strings counteract that to some degree, but only slightly.

check out this d'addario string page and notice that the .130" B generates 31.7 pounds tuned to pitch (on an unspecified scale length), whereas the .135" B generates 34.3 pounds tuned to pitch. by comparison, a .065" D generates 47.3 pounds.

6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I may need to string a bass BEAD thanks to a new gig that may be falling in my lap, but I've never done it or even contemplated it...

If I strung a bass that way, I would *like* to not have to tear up the nut... is that possible to do with a taperwound string?

Thanks, and I don't mean to hijack Odie's thread at the expense of getting his question answered...

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Mr.Donkey....:) (shrek voice)

I dont think a taperwound would work because by the time the string clears the bridge it is the normal thickness. A taperwound would help with a bridge possibly.
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I tried this experiment on my G&L, cause I really wanted a fretless 5'er, but didn't have ducats...I did have to open the nut, not just for the b string either...
    I found I hated life without a g-string (hehehehe).
    I then put a new nut on the G&L, and bought a Bryce J5 for $189. It's quite nice, actually.
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Something else I was wondering about. I know about modifying the nut to fit the B, but do you ever have to modify the saddle? I was looking at my Fender P's saddles and wondering this. I would vastly prefer a tapered B to avoid this problem but it's sadly not an option as I'm going to 100% be using TI Jazz flats on my next BEAD bass. It seems like an untapered B would barely rest in the groove and be in danger of moving around.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  10. Taperwounds are tapered at the bridge end. If a string was tapered just before the nut, you would have some interesting setup and intonation problems!
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok we are getting into a setup discussion.....which it is sort of. But I was trying to find out which bass would sound best BEAD and which would be easier to setup BEAD.
  12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    From both reviews (BP's "Ultimate 5-String Shootout" which was a Tobias Growler, essentially a Renegade w/o the neck pup) and personal experience, the Renegade was a bit light in the low and low-mid departments and might not be the best choice to restring BEAD. However, your results may vary.
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

I was sort of thinking that also. Dont get me wrong I like my Renegade, but I dont think from what I hear that it would make a good BEAD. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  14. Buy a Whammy pedal. they work great for this. :D
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    If the Renegade has a neck pickup, then wouldn't it have significantly more lows and low mids than the bridge-only Growler?
  16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yep, I thought I was wayyy past being an idiot, but I surprise myself sometimes. It's been a mighty long time since the one time I tried a set of taperwounds on an old fiver.

Consider me properly embarrassed. Hey, where's the blushing smiley when you need it? ;)
  17. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I honestly think that a Lull modern 4 w/fralin pups will do the trick. I have contemplated doing just that many times but the funds always seem to go elsewhere. :)
  18. Led Zebulon

Led Zebulon

Sep 21, 2004
    Norwalk, Iowa
    I would lean towards the Warwick. Those ovankol necks are pretty stiff. I had a streamer 5, and it had a great B string.
  19. mgod

Sep 22, 2004
    In '84 or '85 I sold my stick to buy a beautiful 60 P from Mike Tobias, and I missed the low C of the Stick. So I took my Steinberger fretless (the first unlined production one they made, an L-2 #122) and dropped all the strings a 4th. Same strings, just loosened up. The Steinberger didn't care about the lowered tension and there was no modification to do to bridge or nut. Worked great - I had to learn to play different, but that was fun. In '87 or so Rick Turner sent me a set of strings for it that he'd been exprimenting with which he had treated cryogenically, and those strings are still on it. Still working great, and they've been tuned back up maybe once or twice in 17 years for a session.

You can hear it on Linda Perry's album "In Fight" from 1996 or Jon Hassell's "Flash of the Spriit" from 1988 or "City: Works of Fiction" from 1990.

20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Excuse me, sir? You seem to have dropped some names. ;)

Nice resume! :)