Which bass to purchase...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Seeing as my 4-string is dying like a 90 year old in a garbage compactor, I wanna upgrade (bass is a Washburn XB200). I already have an Ibanez SR-885, and I don't think I'm gonna get rid of it yet, so should I get a Spector NS2000/4 or /5 (please give pros and cons) or an Ibanez BTB400QM or 405QM? Your opinions are much appreciated.
  2. oh yeah, forgot to include that I play metal mainly and some Hard Hard Rock. I like my mids and lows punchy and my high notes smooth and not raw/noisy/harsh.
  3. Or what about the Ibanez ATK300?
  4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
  5. stratusxh

Jul 15, 2001
    Get the BTB, save the cash, and buy a swr 2x10 with the difference :) . BTBs are excellent to begin with in stock configuration concerning their funky midrange scoop knob and solid construction. the btb is loaded with extra's for its price range, but all in all, make sure you play both before you lay down that much cash for an axe. (in either case upwards of 600 US)
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    buy a used sammick and send the rest of the money to me.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    man If you get a samick i'll kick your butt.. hehe just kidding. get a sadowsky those nice... no really though.. I'm not a huge fan of Ibanez but I think the btb is what you should go for.. save some cash. this bass has some good tone for its buck
  8. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Spector. I wish I still had mine.
  9. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Ibanez BTB = Nice bass, but the amount you can spend on buying one of these you mine aswell save for a spector czech.
    Spector= Great made basses, I'd recommend getting the czech republic neck through.At 1345.00 at musicansfriend

I'd recommend the spector it has better pickups,woods,overall just better. :D Just ask nino and you'll see
  10. if those are the only choices then DEFINETLY get the spector. If you don't like the washburns dying onn you then DONT BUY IBANEZ... they are the sea monkeys of guitars/basses.
  11. BassNsax, this is a tough call. I'd say go for the BTB, but, I've played a few Spectors that were truly lovely. Play both; one will hear/feel better to you. Go woth that one.

Mike J.

If we keep tools in the toolshed, where do we keep the blood?
  12. O man someone check and see if Nino is alright, there is a thread with something to do about Spectors and he hasnt answered! But seriously I think the BTB is the best for the money. But keep in mind I havent played a Spector. No place around where I live has any!
  13. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    get that really cool jupiter bass:

even if it is ackward to hold and it sounds like crap, it's worth it just for the uniqueness and cool looks :D
  14. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Here I'll respond some what nino would.

15. Get the BTB, save the cash, and buy a swr 2x10 with the difference <------sounds like a decent idea...but idk. I'd really love to get a Czech Series, but I'd really like something under $900.

Should I get a 4-string to replace my Washburn or should I get a 5 to replace it?
  16. i have the ns2000/4 and i love it. everyone here knows how many basses i considered before coming to the specor a while a go. i am thinking of selling it though ;) .. so i can get a warwick. if i were you i would go with the spector. if you dont HAVE to have one of the two you mentioned, check out warwicks. the spector is very versatile though, just doesnt suit my style anymore
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If he is thinking of spending $500 - $600 on a BTB400/405 or a 2000/4 or 2000/5, that is a big jump for the Czech, $$$ wise.

By all means, if you can afford the Czech, go for it.

But if you are talking about the Korean Spector vs. the BTB, I say get the BTB.

I have played several Korean Spectors, and I have not been impressed by them. They are OK for the price, but IMHO the BTB is better.
  18. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    bassplayer mag did a review on the korean spector was good it was all 4 except playabilty it was rated at 5.
  19. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    hmmm, i'm more of a leo fender kinda guy. You can give me the money and i'll get something nice....
  20. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    no don't give him money. also look at the GL 2000 there great basses :)