Which bass to record with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jun 30, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm going to be recording in about a week or so, and I've no clue which bass to use: my MIM P-bass with a Basslines SPB-3 or my Lakland 55-01. I'm going to be borrowing my friends Sansamp DI, running it through my Boss pedals, and into a GK 1001RB-II head, but which bass to go with is a problem. I know its kinda nitpicky, but I live for these kind of things. My P-bass has a great sound with my EQ pedal and ODB-3, which I use on the heavier parts of songs we have. The Lakland has a more natural clean sound I like, but not quite the grind I like with overdrive pedal. What would you reccomend going with? Or should I just borrow my friend's Stingray 5.

2. If you're doing something heavy, the P.

Something that will require slap tones, Lakland.
  3. Really depends on the tone you want...either kinda growly jazz tone or fatty, low end, bassy tone. But I'd have to go w/ the Lakland.
  4. Use all of them--select the bass for each song based on the type of sound you will be using for that particular song and the tonal strength of each bass. Why limit your choice to just one bass, or one preamp, pedal, etc?
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I like this guy!
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amen. When I record, I borrow everything I can from everyone I know. Get Fenders, Stingrays, a Warwick or two, vintage insruments, new instruments, customized and stock instruments, my GK head, a friends Ampeg, another Carvin... It's all about having it available and playing everything you can to get the right tone for each track.

Have fun, and bring lots of schtuff :)
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Did I mention this is just for a 5 song demo? I'm getting a couple of ideas with what songs I want to do with what basses, but I think my bandmates are gonna think I'm crazy.
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Buy a third bass and bring all three.
  9. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well I've got a MusicMan Active SUB 4 string in layaway that I'd love to use, but I still owe 400 on it. I eventually plan on buying a Stingray or two, and solely using them live and in studio. I kinda would like that to become my signature sound, but I've got to settle with what I've got for now.
  10. For a 5 song demo, eh? Well just be sure you have your signal chains worked out ahead of time so you don't waste time in the studio experimenting with your sound and trying to remember how you hooked it up last time and got that cool sound. When you know what you want it doesn't take much time at all to switch basses, unless you have wildly different signal levels, in which case the engineer will have to adjust the gain for each bass switch. If you do have different levels, plan on recording the songs in an order that makes for the fewest equipment changes ( A-A-A-B-C, not A-B-A-C-A) Can you dig it?
  11. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've already got signal chain and levels worked out. I keep my pedals on the same settings all the time.

I plan on going with:
    bass->Sansamp DI->Boss GEB-7->Boss ODB-3->GK 1001RB-II

Fairly simple. I keep it all on for the whole time except the ODB-3, which I kick on for the heavier bits. The gain is turned up slightly, and mostly dry, so it adds a slight grind.

I'm figuring the Lakland for the moderate rock songs, and the P-bass for theone or two heavier songs we've got.

12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You need some Mooger-Foogers and a Ripper![​IMG]
  13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Lakland 55-01 :thumb:
  14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i say if it's for one song, or even a few for a demo. bring all of them record it with each one, and pick from the 3. but i really like the P-tone so i would say that. but definitely record with them all, and pick and choose.
  15. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I'd probably take 'em all. If you leave either the Precision or Lakland at home, you'll wish you hadn't. Both are great for recording.

Also, keep in mind that you can run a line out from the GK head pre- or post-preamp. Depending on the song/sound, you may like that better than the SABDDI out.
  16. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Would y'all reccomend any tweekings, like getting them set up before going in, changing strings? My Lakland is buzzing quite a bit when a pick them.
  17. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Great. I just picked up my P-bass and Lakland, and their both buzzing like nuts. My only guess is that the necks could have shifted. Isn't that caused my humidity?

Looks like I'll be borrowing that Stingray 5

18. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I say; Go Large - Bring all :bassist:
  19. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Here's a couple of thing you might want to consider:

1. The fret buzz you a have now shouldn't be an issue because it really helps to jack your action up for recording anyway. It will keep you on your toes and you'll get better tone with less chance of fret noise, clacks and garbage screwing up a track. It's a real drag to have to do a punch-in because of one fret clack on your money riff comming out of the bridge.

2. the more specific you get with what you want sonically BEFORE the console, The more you tie the hands of the engineer to do what he thinks he needs to be done and the greater your chances are of the whole thing slipping through your fingers.

All your effects and voicing can be done in the post tracking with much better results.

Take everything you have instrument wise and a good cord. Period. Put your energy into the playing and let the engineer worry about the which bass works best because thats the one he's going to do the best job with. When it's all over, grab a beer sit in the control room and bug him about tone and eq when it's his problem and not yours.

Keep in mind that MY experience is bassed on trying to create something in the studio thats worth reproducing and not what you seem to be doing which is trying to reproduce something that's already been created so...I may be totaly full of it for YOUR needs..