1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHICH BASS TOP COSTS MORE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ono69, Mar 28, 2009.

1. AAAAA quilted maple

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. AAAAA tiger maple

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. AAAAA figured walnut

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. macassar ebony

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. ono69

ono69

Oct 23, 2007
    shanghai, China
    4 kinds of good top for a handmade bass, all are nice,but which one is more expensive?thx

2. I don't really understand the question. Why does it matter which one will cost the most? Generally i would want to pick the one that costs the least rather than the most.

Either way, what does price have to do with it?
    Pick the wood you like best.

3. ono69

ono69

Oct 23, 2007
    shanghai, China
    i wonder which is more expensive as a wood if i pay the same money for a top

4. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    AAAAA flamed birdseye carrot

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Differing builders have different grading systems for each kind of top, and its all subjective anyway, so one builder's AAA top might be another's AAAAA top. If you like it, and are willing to pay the price, why do you care what the builder pays for it?

For what it's worth, since your macassar is not figured, its the cheapest. a huge board can be had quite cheaply, the last time i priced it.

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Check the Carvin site; they show option prices for tops; will give you some idea

7. I am not sure - each luthier charges whatever they feel their customers are willing to pay for the woods available.

Saying that - I think one of the most expensive luthiers when it comes to fingerboards has to be Alleva Coppolo - they charge a $1,500 UPGRADE just for their Brazilian Rosewood fingerboards!! (and no, that's not a typo - I DID mean $1,500!! - yikes!)

8. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Why don't you just ask someone who sells them?

9. Like.....Ken Smith since it looks like he's trying to get one.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Why don't you quit counting pennies if you're really doing a high end build and pick the one that looks the best to you.

11. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Ask five different builders what their prices are for these woods-I imagine that you'd get five different responses back. ;)

Generally speaking, the ebony top would be the most expensive, but it's hard to say about the others, as grading and markup are different from builder to builder.

12. How many more times are you going to ask? Just curious. :)

Semi-on topic: The top on the bass in my avatar cost $220 from a private party & fellow TBer. It's mac ebony, and may soon be FS(the whole bass, not just the top :D). :ninja:

13. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    between this thread and your other, may I ask what the motivating factor will be for you in picking a top?

Is it status? Don't be ashamed if that is so. There is plenty of that going on in the market. And in all other markets too.

Is it beauty?

Since I'm in marketing, you've piqued my interest.

BTW, call Ken...he'll answer any of these questions for you. Also, if you're interested in purely the tone aspects of these woods, call Michael Tobias.