1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHICH BASS TOP COSTS MORE?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ono69, Mar 28, 2009.

1. AAAAA quilted maple

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. AAAAA tiger maple

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. AAAAA figured walnut

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. macassar ebony

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. ono69

ono69

Oct 23, 2007
    shanghai, China
    they are all nice top for a handmade bass, but which one will cost more in your opinion?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    This is the third thread that I've seen you start on this topic, may I ask why you want to know this? Aren't you able to get a quote for these choices in your local area?

3. ono69

ono69

Oct 23, 2007
    shanghai, China
    sorry,because the dealer‘s price for the four kinds of wood is same

4. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

There's your answer

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    what, maccassar ebony the same price as quilted maple! holy crap, i gotta find this wood guy

6. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    These woods can wildly vary in cost. The price of figured woods is hinged on the quality of the figuring...Obviously. Just because your dealer says it is 5A quality, it is not necessarily so. Unless an expert has graded the maple 5A, you may not necessarily be buying 5A.

I have some beautiful slabs of Claro in my stash. The nicest of the 12/4 36in billets was about $350 (if my memory serves me correctly). A similar length billet of Macassar was @$850. This should provide some perspective.

Again....Price hinges on quality, market availability, and demand. When I bought my Macassar, the going price was very high. I know presently it can be anywhere from $50-100 bd/ft depending from where you are buying it. Truly outstanding quilt can fetch very high prices for the very best material. BTW....Try pricing some 5A curly Koa sometime!

I hope this is of some help.