1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which bass track should I use? Help!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rbuist, Jul 29, 2012.

1. rbuist

rbuist

Jul 29, 2012
    Hello everyone,
    I have a question for anyone who knows much about recording bass tracks.

I have been making music with some borrowed recording gear and have been trying to get a good bass tone to go along with some really effect-heavy shoegaze I've been writing. It took me a while, but I have two distinctly different takes that are both good and bad for different reasons.

Tone #1 I almost got exactly the tone I was looking for here. Super deep and full sounding with just enough attack. The only problem is that some parts of it peak no matter what speakers or headphones I use. I have remedied the problem by turning down every single part that sounded muddy via the Garage band volume control. It sounds pretty good, but if one listens closely, you can hear the slight fluctuations in volume.

Tone #2 I read an article that said don't focus so much on the lows and highs of your tone when recording bass, but the secret is in the mid frequencies. I dialed back the bass and treble, pumped the mids (which I usually tend to scoop) and the resulting tone stayed at a nice constant volume and sat pretty well in the mix.

So my dilemma is, use the fat bassy tone #1 that shifts in volume throughout the whole song? Or use the mid-range tone #2 that is a constant volume through out the entire song? This track is just going to be something I put online as a demo so I suppose it wouldn't matter much to the casual listener, but I'm picky so here I am on a forum to pick your brains about it.

Also, if anyone has any tips about getting a solid tone with not much gear, please let me know. Right now, I am recording a GK 1001 rb mk II into an Avatar 210 with a MXR M80 for my sound (please don't tell me to do direct, I messed around with that for a while and was unimpressed). From there, I record the cab with a cheap AKG mic into a Lexicon Alpha interface, into Garage Band.

Thanks guys and gals,
    Ryan

2. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    You can seat your bouncy track nicely in the mix with a limiter plug in.

The track that is even will sound even better if you limit it a couple db.

Just pick the one that sounds the best in the mix...not soloed.

It's prolly going to be your 2nd track...since you like how the mids kept it even you can touch up your lows and highs with an eq plugin.

The larger answer to your post though is to learn a bit about using your comp/ limiter and eq plugs.

The basics of mixing is eq, compression, panning, level balance and reverb. Dig in a bit with some online study and you'll be happy.

3. rbuist

rbuist

Jul 29, 2012
    bump if anyone else cares to weigh in!