Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass would be appropriate for most music genres?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hinatalky, May 7, 2005.

1. Hinatalky

Hinatalky

May 7, 2005
    I'm think of buying a new bass however i'm not sure what type of bass i would like to have as i play all sorts of music genre mostly rock and pop etc. Would like to know which type of bass as well as brand would be most suitable for a all-rounder bassist like me :bassist: Thx :)

2. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I would recomend a Fender Jazz... They have a nice thin neck and sound wonderful.

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Price range?

4. daTHChronic

daTHChronic

Nov 12, 2004
    Tampa, Fl.
    I know I asked the same thing when I bought my first bass, I didnt really know what I wanted to play, and I was recommended an Ibanez. I think they play great and they are pretty light. Plus, they arnt expensive.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Jazz. Probably the closest you can get to a bass that does everything.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Fender Jazz. If you want to spend a little more money, Carvin can hook you up with a very nice instrument.

7. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    You can never go wrong with a good jazz bass. The bongos are really diverse or get something with a p-j pickup setting

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    G&L L-2000

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    There are two ways to look at it. One way is a bass with a one-size-fits-all tone and the other is a bass with versatile electronics that can give you a variety of tones.

An example of the former case is the venerable P-bass. The P-bass does not have the most versatile array of tones, but its tone has been a staple in all genres of music from jazz to pop to metal to everything in between.

An example of the latter would be a G&L L2000 as someone mentioned. The array of knobs and switches on that thing gives you access to a wide array of tones. Or a Line 6 Variax bass, whose electronics can model/mimic a plethora of basses.

I think a happy medium is a Fender Jazz type bass with passive electronics. The two pickup arrangement gives you access to a good variety of tones, while the simple volume-volume-tone (or volume- blend- tone) layout allows you dial in your sound with ease and it lower maintenance than an advanced active system.

If it were me, I'd choose the Jazz for the happy blend of versatility, character, and ease of use.

10. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Musicman basses seem to show up everywhere. I don't really have that much experience with them, but I'd assume they're pretty versatile, or they just fit in with lots of genres.

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    What sort of strap will you be using?

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if i was getting a bass that i could do a lot of different things with, i go with an mia p-bass

13. timinator

timinator

May 8, 2005
    Well yes, a good Jazz bass is very tough to beat-make sure it can make more than one useful tone, since those two pickups have two different jobs in the sonic landscape. But a huge factor that often goes unconsidered is fit. My bro-in-law works in hand therapy and is quite busy rehabilitating injured musicians. If you want to stay healthy and be able to go for hours with the same stick, try it out on your knee, but put it on a strap and play for more than two minutes. Bad balance or a neck profile that isn't right for you can tear up your little muscles and tendons in a hurry. You can even strain your hand on a neck that is too thin! Keep shopping and don't settle for anything that you might think you'll need to learn to live with.

Also, don't assume that Fender is a necessary source for a jazz...some of their stuff is OK, but my jazz is a Frankenbass of different parts that blows new American Fenders away! Plenty of pickups that can be swapped into a jazz down the road, too, so when you find something that feels comfy and sounds righteous FOR YOU, give it the home it deserves.

14. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Lakland ;) :bassist:

15. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Fender, or some variation thereof. Jaco, Jamerson, Geddy, Marcus, Duck Dunn - That covers a lot of styles and genres - all Fender players, and all spent less than a few hundred bucks on their signature instruments.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If any ONE bass out there is a jack of all trades, its a Fender Jazz or one of its clones (Lakland JO, DJ, KSD, etc)

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like FireAarro said, knowing your price range would be helpful.

The Fender Jazz is a very popular bass for a very good reason. It gets three very good tones(along with variations of each), and all three work well with most styles of music.

For playability/tone/price ratio, the Geddy Lee signature model is hard to beat. It is my 4 string Jazz of choice. Wish I could find a 5 stringer that sounded just like it.

18. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    It looks as though the consensus here is the Jazz, and I agree. I use a Ric and a Jazz and am completely satisfied with my sound....best of luck to you in your search..

19. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Jazz bass is that bass that you can do pretty much everything. You get a great overall tone and its the bass where you can play with any technique. Really versatile.

20. Jazz bass, definitely. Easy to play, good variety of tones, very comfortable body style.