Which bass would u use for reggae/dub ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Give me your advice on what bass should I use for playing Reggae/Dub..
    Thx :)
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Any bass with a neck pickup will do.
  3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Many different types of basses will do. A Precision would work well. Family Man (Bob Marley) used a Jazz bass. My bass teacher uses a Ken Smith in a reggae band and it works well for him. A reggae-ish tone comes from using more neck pickup and little treble for a boomier/woofier sound.
  4. i've got a stock mim squier jazz with flats on it that are a little more than 2 years old, and its a dub machine if you pluck buy the neck, boost the bass and cut the mids and treble.
  5. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I play dub/reggae with a passive Modulus VJ4 with the tone control rolled all the way off and the neck pickup soloed.
  6. I think a P bass would be good for that. or if you get into some of the higher end stuff some of the bartolini soap bars combined with the right preamp can give you great thumpy tones and whole lot more.
  7. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    something passive with a neck pickup, to get a boomier sound use your thumb for picking the strings.
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    A lot of basses will do the trick if you have a neck pickup and the tone rolled down. Heck if you have active electronics with a bass boost, that will work well too. Dub/Reggae is all about the lows.

P Bass with the tone rolled down, with flatwound strings, and a nice steady attack is probably the no-nonsense sure-fire dub sound.
  9. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I will continue to play with my Sterling and its loooooooooow boost and mid / treble cut.
  10. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Oddly enough, I've had good luck using a Rick 4001 with Ernie Ball Flats.

And Jah Wobble uses an Ovation solidbody, it doesn't get much deeper than Jah's tone.
  11. i sabar if u can find one, worked for sublime's bassist.
  12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Ovation Magnum hands down...

13. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    This is true :p ;)
  14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Second that except I think any bass will do just fine. There's no specific bass for a particular genre of music.
  15. I recorded this band "The Yardies" and Mike their bass player uses a Steinberger 4 string bass, great reggae/dub tone.

You can listen to the tones from the CD- Lost Tribe of America
    MP3 and Cd let me know what you think!

;) Treena
  16. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I've just listened to Lost Tribe of America, very nice tone indeed. The song isn't bad either.
  17. These guys kick butt in the SF bay area.

Thank you for liking the tone. I think it sounds great too!
    :D Treena
  18. yeah, Das from Asian Dub Foundation uses a Hohner B2A. I've got one and compared to my P basses it sounds lacking in lows.
    I suppose with EQ'ing and/or a deep sounding amp you could use any bass.