1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass..................Zon or Devon??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Zon

56 vote(s)
    71.8%
  2. Devon

22 vote(s)
    28.2%
  1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Both basses are the same price, both are used, and both are claimed to be in dead mint condition. The Devon has a Low End 2 band preamp with narrow soap bar Villex pups while the Zon has the Zon polyfusion preamp with full size soap bar Bart pups. Both guitars speak to me equally.

2. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    bump

3. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i love that zon...that's where i would go...is that the one that mirra is selling? love that walnut, man! the tone on those sonus customs is something to behold...i've never taken a devon out on a test drive before, but that zon is wicked...tone, playability, reliability, and versatility for days...and if it's mirra's, it's a killer deal, too

4. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Its Mirra's................Up until last night I was pretty sure I was set on getting the Devon..........then I see this Zon!!

5. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Never played or heard a Devon, but I own a Zon....you'll get 24 frets with the Zon...looks like only 22 with the Devon. Zons very consistently give great sounds. I truly appreciate the clarity, evenness, road-worthiness, comfort, etc. and although it's just two more frets...to me this is very important!

6. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am pretty sure that the Zon is it..........I just called Gene and proposed a deal..........He is going to get back to me

7. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    I reeeeeeeally would consider the Devon, looks great and yes I've played a Zon and have not played a Devon.... I'd consider the Devon.

:bag:

8. I have a Zon and I absolutely LOVE it, but damn that Devon is a sick looking bass. I mean classic yet unique, quite stunning. Wow.

9. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    if you've made an offer, tell him dave black won't stand in your way... :D

10. Buy the Devon and let me buy the Zon;).

j/k

Tough choice. Both are gorgeous basses, but I'd go for the Zon.

11. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I've made my mind up..............but lets bump one more time just to see what the heard thinks!

12. I stand by my word. I've never had any experience with Devon, but the quality of Zon basses are top notch, and they sound great as well. I saw a clip of someone trying out a Custom at NAMM, I'll try to find it.

EDIT:
    Here is said clip:
    Sonus Custom at NAMM

13. I love that Zon. It kind of reminds me of a Pedulla Thunderbass, and I love Thunderbasses. The Devon, on the other hand, has an awesome tone and feels like a dream. I played one at a guitar show one time. It was light, felt good in my hands, and sounded really punchy. I chose the Devon for that reason. You can't go wrong either way.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They both look nice and are no doubt both great basses, the Devon looks better but the Zon might sound better...

15. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    I think the Zon looks better, if that helps any. IMO the Devon is well ugly in my eyes that top doesn't do it for me the thing that I do like is the look of that neck wow! but to each his own if you guys like it.

16. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I love the neck of the Devon as well............it is gorgeous. Even though the top on the Devon is nice..........it just seems to not flow with rest of the bass.........it's too light. The Devon almost needs another top on it or to have a finish over the existing top. I think if the Devon had a more appropriate top I might be making a different decision.

17. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Yah I agree it's too busy IMO

18. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I've owned a Devon fiver and can say, unequivocally, that it is a top notch, custom built instrument. It is built to very high standards. I'd still have it, if I played a fiver!
    I believe the Zon will be easier to sell, down the road, as most bassists have heard of it. The name recognition of Zon may indicate that the equally priced Devon is actually the better bass.
    RD
    :bassist: