Which bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millie_monkey, Oct 11, 2004.

1. millie_monkey

Oct 11, 2004
    Kent, UK
    Hi all,

I'm 13 and I'm interested in playing a bass. I would just like to known which bass you would recommened for a beginner, and isn't too expensive.

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    depends on how much you wnt to spend, but here is a good place to start:

3. millie_monkey

Oct 11, 2004
    Kent, UK
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
  4. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Look at the lower end washburn and ibanez basses too. They're playable.
  5. millie_monkey

Oct 11, 2004
    Kent, UK
    Thanks, I'm checking out the Washburn website as I post.
  6. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Crap, I know he's new but these questions are just reasons for everyone to shout out random basses. Lets all agree from here on out, that whenever someone asks for a good, cheap beginner bass we all just send them to Rondo. Haha
  7. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Rondo stocks some good value stuff, but in my experience, the quality level and tone of the Ibanez SR-DX and Spector Performance basses is significantly better, for not much more money. I would highly recommend trying an Ibanez SR300DX. They sell for about $150-$200 used, or $300 new. I have two high end Euro/American mase basses, and my old ibanez keeps me happy when I want to play with it (usually slap stuff). No dead spots, good action, hot pre-amp.

Another great thing to try would be the Spector Performance Series or Q/Legend series. You can get the Performance for Around $200 and the Q or Legend basses for about $300-$400. The Q basses are fairly cheap right now because they are discontinued and being cleared out.
  8. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I say go with a Cort Curbow though. Those new Barts they put in them are sweeet! And a very light bass when playing standing up. Great tone, and good for slapping. I'm just waiting on Mr. Curbow to e-mail me back a price on the 'burl' finish, then I will probably order a Fretted 5 and round out the starting lineup of Fretted 4, Fretted 5, and Fretless 5.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If your budget is under $175, you can't go wrong with an SX from Rondo. I have 13 basses, and my little $99 SX P bass gets a fair share of playing time.

In the $200 range, the Ibanez GSR200 is hard to beat, although the Yamaha RBX170 is pretty good too.

In the $300 range, you have a lot of choices. Peavey Fury, Spector Performance series, Ibanez SR-DX, etc.

I personally don't care for the low priced Washburns. Weak, puny sounding electronics in every one I have ever played.
  10. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    This may sound like a good idea or not, but you'd have to be patient iwth my route. From what I've heard, the Ibanez stuff from the 80s were excellent...and well, they go really low on Ebay.

Like I bought my RB800 on Ebay and couldn't be happier, but this takes patience. I'm quite4 confident that with the $192.50 I paid for the bass, a hardshell case, 10 foot cable and strap, it was a better deal than anything I could get that was made recently.
  11. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Couldn't agree more- the low end washburns are not a very good value- they sound flat out lame and puny.
  12. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1 on...

Ibanez GSR200- it has more features for less money than my starter Ibanez 10 years ago.

Yamaha RBX170- I personally prefer Yamaha's neck profiles over Ibanez' neck profiles.

Peavey Fury- I've tried the 6-string version of the Fury and it looks, sounds, and feels like a much more expensive bass.

Spector Performer- What can I say? I love the way Spectors balance when strapped.

Or there's always the preowned route. Some great bass deals can come along on Ebay, but I'd rather not go that route because I like to try out a bass before I buy it; see if it's comfortable in my hands or not.

Try as many basses as you can and see which feels most comfortable in your hands. Like I said before, some companies' neck profiles are a love it/hate it deal (i.e. Ibanez. Definitely a try-before-you-buy brand.) Also try some basses beyond your price range so you can feel what a more expensive and possibly better built axe is like. If a cheaper one reminds you of the more expensive one, great. Also, if a slightly more expensive axe than you can afford is what really 'speaks' to you, save up. It's better to have a bass you really like than to have one you're kinda "ehh" about. You'll want to play a bass you really like more often than one you feel ambivalent about.