Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Voodoo_Chile, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Voodoo_Chile

Voodoo_Chile

Dec 3, 2004
    Hey,
    I am looking into a new medium priced bass. I've narrowed it down to a Fender Jazz or P, (the standard series, because the american series costs to much) a Yamaha BB604, or an Ibanez SRX500. I was also looking at the new Ibanez RKB900 thingy or whatever its called. Its ugly as heck, but the specs sound sweet. Give me your opinions please. I live overseas and I have no way to actually go try any basses out.

2. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I would suggest looking at Dean. They have many different styles of basses and almost everyone who has played one for a while loves them. The build quality is way above average for a $500 on down bass. The Q4 is a great bass. Good luck. Joe

3. If we're recommending other basses you might as well check out Schecter Stiletto Elites and CV4/5's, I played a couple at GC yesterday and I actually liked them better than the Music Man SUBs, comparable Ibanezs, the standard Fenders. Personally I would never buy a yamaha, not because the quality is poor but for some reason I just have something against Yamaha instruments, the RKB900 doesn't look bad though. Standard Fender is hit or miss these days and I would never buy one if I didnt get to play it first.

4. I like the Jazz Basses. They are versatile, comfortable and look sexy. But I like the Prescsion too. Are you in S.A.? They have a "Precision Special" that has the best of both. A "Medium Price" Fender would be a Highway 1 series. Made in California but finishing done in MExico, a little down the road, then final assembly in California. They are not very shiny but play good.

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?cat2=3075&form=prodsearch&cat=2407&ob=p91&submit=Filter+Results

cuantos en dolares tienes?

5. tater tot

tater tot

Dec 4, 2004
    out of those probably the Ibanez SRX500 but the fenders are amazing basses too

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I thought the finish was done in California? I didn't think Mexico could do any other finish apart from polyester. I think the parts are mainly made in Mexico but the bass is assembled in the US.

7. you may be right. they do something in mex b/c everyone tries to say it de-amercanizes it. lame argument. either way, it built by mex folks whether in mex or in so cal factory. i am more concerned with final assembly/quality control being done in u.s.

i was thinking that the mark hoppus bass would be kind of cool. don't like the pastels but it comes in black and the price is right.

8. Voodoo_Chile

Voodoo_Chile

Dec 3, 2004
    So fender standard is probably not a good choice these days? One guy likes the SRX500
    One guy hates the Yamaha (has anyone played it, cuz the user reviews sound good)

The RKB sounds great, but it looks so horrible. I would have to play one to see how it really is.

9. Voodoo_Chile

Voodoo_Chile

Dec 3, 2004
    Hey, I just looked at the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass. Has anyone played one of those?