Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hawkizzle, May 21, 2005.

1. Hawkizzle

Hawkizzle

May 21, 2005
    I have a few basses i might buy but im new to bass guitar but want a good one so I wont have to buy a new one in a few years so, Here are some basses and Im wondering which are the best ones. Also I will be playing rock and jazz
    1.Washburn XB120
    2. Rick Allen Deluxe P-Bass Style Guitar

If you have any other suggestions PLease state them cause im not really sure what bass to get for a decent price thats good.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have owned a Washburn Xb 120. A very well put together entry level bass. Lifetime warranty as well. Only drawback for me was the sound, which I found very growly and not very versatile. Knowing what I know now, I would recommend either a Standard Fender Jazz or Standard Fender Precision (used ) for about the price as a new Xb120. Other basses which seem to get good reviews from our fellow
    TB ers are the SX basses, Yamaha BB 404 and Yamaha RBX as well as the Ibanez GSR 200 and DX 300 to name a few.

Check out the reviews on websites like harmonycentral to get a better idea of how these basses are rated and if possible try as many as you can before you commit to one.

3. Hawkizzle

Hawkizzle

May 21, 2005
    ok, thank you for the help!

4. Hawkizzle

Hawkizzle

May 21, 2005
    I've decided on a Fender Standard Precision Bass and for an amp im gonna get a Rogue rb60 60W bass combo. Is that a good combination? I wont be doing any gigs or anything yet so..

5. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
  6. Hawkizzle

Hawkizzle

May 21, 2005
    well the thing about that is i dont want to have to buy a new guitar when i start gettin better and maybe do gigs etc...

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

Although I agree that SX make fine guitars for the money I disagree that the SX makes a better beginner bass that a
    Fender MIM. Yes they are cheaper, but imho the standard
    mims are a notch above the SX and well worth the extra hundred (for a used one of course).

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Does this mean it can only be played with hammer-ons? :D

9. Hawkizzle

Hawkizzle

May 21, 2005
    I'm actually really thinking about getting a Fender Jazz Bass with a 60 W fender amp if I can round up enough money!

10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    You should be able to pick up the bass and amp used for
    around USD 400.....

11. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Take a look at the new Yamaha re-issue BB series basses, the BB414 and 614. They are selling new at MF for abot $400.00 and they are a good sounding ,playing reliable instrument.

12. Hawkizzle

Hawkizzle

May 21, 2005
    Aight, Thanks for the help! Im gonna try looking on ebay for some good prices any other good places to find used guitar stuff?

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

I would be wary of pawn shops. I have heard some people get decent deals but you really have to be able to spot good equipment from bad. Check out the internet and see if there is a Craigs List for the city you are living in. Chances are there is and you will find alot of gear listed there.

14. Hawkizzle

Hawkizzle

May 21, 2005
    I doubt there is cause i live in a small town in washington but i will check it out