Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peasandpotatoes, Aug 15, 2005.

1. 1976 Gibson Grabber

5.1%
  2. 1975-76 Fender P Bass

21.3%
  3. Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray

41.1%
  4. Fender Deluxe P Bass Special

9.6%
  5. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

22.8%
  1. I eventually wanna get all these, but which one first?

2. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    I prefer Jazz basses. But I LOVE a four string neck with a nut width of 1 5/8"

I love the sound of the Geddy Lee Jazz... but the neck width is just a little to thin for me.

Get the Geddy or the 70's model P Bass!!

3. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Stingray. The tone is just killer, great for any style IMO.

4. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    +1 on the Geddy Lee. Very very nice bass for the price. The best non-vintage fender i've ever played....

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i have the deluxe p. GREAT BASS. highly recoomend it. but i think the best bass out of that bunch is the sting ray

6. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    +1 for geddy lee bass. I only played it for about 5-10 minutes but it sounds great, plays great, and I've never touched another bass that made two-handed tapping so easy. MM basses sound good on recording but I've never been fond of their live sound.

7. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    How come so many people like stingray's? I think they absolutly suck. They are way too heavy and bulky.

8. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA

Yes, but if you dance around and "get into the groove," it will pull you down.

9. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

StingRays are all I've ever owned. I adore them.

10. Go for the Stingray! What are you waiting for, Christmas? :bassist:

11. I love my SR5 and my Geddy......totally different animals. The Geddy is an awesome deal, replace the tuning machines and it is a killer bass. The Stingray has a distinct tone that most bassists love but there are some who don't like it. You may want to think about one of the new models, either an HH or an HS Stingray. They look sweet........hmm, ADD kicking in. Back on topic, the basses you list are really pretty classic as far as tone goes, you wouldn't go wrong with any, except maybe for the Gibson.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    and the stingray takes the cake:)

13. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i voted for the grabber but would go for the Gibson Ripper... I played one in this store called Guitar heaven. it could have used some new strings and a little setup but it was amazing. A little heavy... well actually a lot but the neck was nice and chunky, but not bad chunky... just right. and can you say mojo? this bad boy was full of it. the guy was a prick though... he said he wanted $900 for it. it was missing 80% of its paint and had a band name spray painted on it, probably hadnt been setup in 20 years except for new strings every now and then... that kind of stuff kills me.

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I voted for the Geddy. But they're all winners, except the Gibson.

15. Bitch on Bass

Bitch on Bass

Aug 15, 2005
    England
    .hmm it Is true that you can go deeper with bass. Female bass player any-one ;-)

16. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I've been on the lookpout for a new bass myself. I'm really tempted by the Geddy Lee but have heard that they have neck probs. Is this true?

17. If you call having one of the fastest, most comfortable and cool looking necks a problem....then yes. Seriously, search the forums and see for yourself.....awesome bass for the money. I love mine.

18. hibbs

hibbs

Aug 14, 2005
    Cambridge, ON
    Stingray all the way. Not only does it have great tone and playability, they can stand up to a good beating in the long run.

19. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    Since you asked which one to get first, go with the Stingray. If your profile is updated, you already own 2 basses with multiple pickups, so the first to buy from the list comes down to a standard P or a stingray. Out of those 2, first choice IMHO should be a 3-band stingray.