1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeteBassclef, May 9, 2006.

1. Looking for genuine advice guys.....

Currently using 67 PBass & 76 JBass & playing various types of music.Looking for new bass.

Rickenbacker?......Deluxe active Jazz?....Line 6?...

Opinions please.e-mail me if you prefer.

2. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Lakland :hyper:

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I'm an advocate of getting something completely different, so a Rick sounds good to me in this situation.

4. I agree with the "something completely different" concept.

Another option is a Stingray. To my way of thinking, a P, a J, and a 'Ray would make your arsenal about as versatile as versatile can be.

5. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    How about a fretless?

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I like the Rickenbacker idea.

7. Thanks guys,
    I've been leaning towards the Rickenbacker for some months now & it seems to be the favourite.
    Going across to Florida in July,hoping to pick one up cheaper there.Guitar stores around Orlando?

Here's some info about me.If you go to the Equipment page, there are some interesting music links.
    http://sha1951.bravehost.com/

8. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I have to agree with the Rick idea.
    I'm tossing it around myself ,although a Jaguar does sound interesting.I hear they have a thin neck simular to a geddy but again it is a Japanese build if thats an issue.
    But the Japanese do build very nice basses.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A Ric is a good choice. Play before you buy though. I've wanted a Ric since my early teens. (I'm in my 40s). It was always a bass I was going to have someday. I love the look. I love the tone. Depending on strings, they are pretty darned versatile. Paul McCartney with flats? Great sound. Geddy Lee with Rotosounds? Great sound, and very different.

Well, low and behold, I finally pulled the trigger last year. I kept it for maybe 6 months. While I loved the sound and the looks, I HATED the neck, and even worse, the pickup cover, which was in the way when left on, and leaves a gaping hole when removed. Even with a pickguardian cover, there is NO good place to anchor your right hand. Maybe one day I'll try a 4004.

Stingray is also a great suggestions!

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you're going to be in Florida...and you want a bass...And you want to try 'something different...then you need to visit Bass Central. They're going to have all of the choices you're thinking about, but also a TON of other great basses.

http://www.basscentral.com/2003/bass.shtml

My choice for something different?!?!

Dingwall, of course.

www.dingwallguitars.com

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Bass Central is in Orlando. I GUARANTEE you'll find something you want there!

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You oughta try a G&L L2000, or MusicMan Stingray. Both are available in big sonically ripping two humbucker configurations that offer a lot of sonic variety. Music Man Bongos are kewl too.

13. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    If you've got a 67 P and a 76 J, you don't need anything else.

14. Texas Ed

Texas Ed

May 9, 2006
    My first post...howdy y'all....(well, third actually.)

I think that a Ric on the wall is a good way to go but I couldn't give anyone an opinion and do any good without knowing what your budget restrictions are, if any, and what sound you are going for.

But, if it were me, a starving musician, I would suggest a G&L or perhaps a Lakland. You can get a good American P-Bass with the S-1 switch for around a grand too. They ain't half bad!

I am not a big fan of Peavey guitars, to say the least, but their Cirrus line has impressed the hell out of me. (It being a Peavey and all.) Affordable. Awesome wood. Great looking. Killer action. Decent electronics (But you gotta watch your signal going to the snake 'cause it is hott hott! This thing runs off of two 9V batteries and it kicks out some juice. A DI may be better than running XLR out with this particular instrument.)

Asking me what my favorite bass is, is like asking me what my favorite Pink Floyd song is. In 5 minutes, I will have changed my mind.:D

Have a great day everyone. Darn glad to meet you all.