Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oddman545, Feb 21, 2002.

1. OK, here's the deal. This summer I MIGHT have a job and get about $1200 (!!!!). I'm 15 so that's a lot for me. Well, I want to get a Fender Jazz bass but have no idea how much they are, and I want a bass that's really good, but I don't want to spend all my money. Do you think I can get a J-bass w/ that much, or should I go for some other kind of bass?
    BTW: I have a bass alread and it's a Squire P-bass and I want a better one, but I like it too

2. 1200 is a lot, you can get a great bass with that. an american J, even a stingray.

but, you might also want to consider getting a loud amp and a less expensive bass. what kind of amp do you have right now?

3. Oddman, ditto to what Dancehall said. It's good that you're asking the question now, long before you have the $. Hey, to give yourself a more focused idea of what you might like, go to: www.musiciansfriend.com Check out ALL THE BASSES! Be sure to click on the Fender products icon; they're in their own little link. Try to narrow it down to 4 or 5, come back and ask us about a specific model, and you'll get a ton of answers. Once you mention a bass someone here actually owns, they'll jump right in and tell you the good and bad points (if any) about it. This place is full of honest people.

Mike J.

4. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    DHC is right. Go for an amp first, then get a bass. It doesn't matter how great it sounds if no one can hear it.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't think that you need to spend $1200 on a bass. If you wait until you are older and more serious about the instrument, you will appreciate it more. By then there will be plenty of new basses out there and you will probably know exactly what you want. Spend up to $900, save the rest for your next-next bass.

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I think you can get a mexican Jazz (pretty nice pickups) for around $350 at your local music store. I own a mexican Jazz and I like it a lot, it's my favorite punk bass.

What you could do is get the jazz, then spend the rest on your amp. Then when you get another $1200 get a stingray. That's my plan :p, but I have my amp and my jazz, I'm just waitin for an extra $1200.

7. cool. i'm gonna look around at Mucisian's Friend. No i don't mean to spend all 1200 on a bass alone. I have a small little practice amp and it's pretty small. I completely forgot about that. Hhmmmm....
    thx!
    I'll keep looking and if I find a really cool one or anything, I'll ask around.

Thanks guys,

8. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Take some time and play the bass the speaks to you. I spent some time playing alot of diffrant bass's before I picked my Stingray5 I kept going back to it and I tried bass's that were alot more money . Find the bass with to tone thats in your head and the feel in you hands.

9. Thanks, that's cool. I'll get my parents to drive me to the music store to play some basses there (not that I'll ever buy anything from there, too overpriced!). I'll see what I like and look them up.

Thanks again guys,
    Oddman

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Try the used market too. But it sounds to me like maybe your first priority should be upgrading to a better (higher powered) amp. A great bass through a inadequate amp doesn't get very far, unless you are just playing to yourself in your bedroom.

Here's what I would do: Pick up a used bass (you choose what you like) for around the $400-$500 range. You can get a serious upgrade from your Squire for that amount, used. Spend the rest on a better amp. That gives you $700-$800 to spend on an amp, which will get you a pretty decent combo, much better than a small practice amp.

Just my opinion, however.

11. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I totally agree with the previous post. I would think you could go with a Mexican Fender Jazz, improve the pickups AND get a great combo for those dollars. I like the Nemesis 4X10 (around $700 new) or the Ampeg B2 1X15 Combo (around $650 new), personally. I think either way, you'll have a killer setup for most applications.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Including the TalkBass Classifieds. Have YOU looked at the classifieds today? :D

13. It really depends on what you want. You can find a used MIM jazz for less than $350, or buy a brand new MIA jazz and spend most, if not all, of that $1200.

For $1200 you have a wide range of options.

14. hey Oddman545,, Just wanted to tell you.. i think you got NO IDEA what kind of bass you could get with that amount of money..

If I were you, I would try to see all kinds of basses among $650 and $900 and ask for serious advice before deciding..
    Baceause when you don´t have that money and have a little more experience and knowledge on basses, you could regret your decision... :)
    Just a piece of advice..

By the way, I hope you get the job... good luck

15. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    try them all!
    And don't condemn(sp?) your Squier just yet. If you like the feel of it, but not the tone, drop a new set of pups in and you've got a nice P. If the woodwork is OK.

But still, try'em all! ALL!

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Sounds like you already know what you want, thats good. You can get an MIA Jazz Bass DLX for around $1100. And IMO those are a great bass. Not the best, but IMO they are one of the best on the market. If you dont want to blow the whole wad of cash on it, then you can get the passive American Series Jazz Bass for around $800 or $900.

Both of these basses come with a hardshell case too, something that alot of other companies dont offer.

I dissagree with those that said to get a loud amp instead of a bass or more or less a cheap bass to start out with.

you can always play your bass without an amp, you cant do it the other way around. A smaller practice type amp should suit you well while your learning to play. And should you find yourself in a working band, you can always run direct thru the PA, so you dont really need a huge amp (for now)

17. Cool, and some of you are right, I have no idea what to get or what I want. That's the reason I posted this thread to ask about what kind of basses are good. I'm pretty much a newby in everything, except I can play a little. I've had the bass about 2 years but only played seriously for about a year. But, like I said, all I do is "plug and play", like those big amps and stuff with lots of little knobs and stuff (???), I have no IDEA what they even are! So I know I wanna get another/better bass, and most likely a bigger amp because I'll be playing with some friends, most likely no gigs though, and then keep the rest for bass lessons. Well, I've been looking around and I've found a lot of cool basses that I can easily afford and I'm glad I'm thinking about this now then when I have the money though. Well, I'll be looking around more, and I'll probably have about a 1000 more stupid noob questions

Thanks again,
    Oddman

18. grizzwell

grizzwell

Feb 22, 2002
    Honolulu
    There's a lot of good basses out on the market for cheap these days. That includes the guitar shops. Some are a bit on the desperate side (failing economy, 911 etc.) Don't be afraid to make a lower than what seems reasonable offer. They just might take it.