Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slowmodemfoo, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Fender

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. Spector

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. Warwick

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. ESP

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Carvin

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. Epiphone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ibanez

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. Washburn

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Yamaha

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  10. Zon

6 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. I'm looking for a bass to replace my little rogue LX200B bass, and I thought I might ask Talkbass's opinion. I've posted a poll with several companies that interest me and that I've ben checking out at music stores, magazines, online, at friend's houses, etc.....
    I'm looking for a bass with a bit more of a flat tone to it,a superb low end, a long life, and somewhere in the range of $400 - $800.

UPDATE!--Afew minutes after posting this poll I realized that Zon is a bit out of my price range. More Like a LOT out of my price range!

2. Well, all Iknow is that the best best IMO in that price range is the MTD Kingston, bar none. And I'm sure some more people here will agree with me.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You SURE you didn't mean best best???:D

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I agree it would be MTD Kingston.

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I like Carvin in that price range. You get a good quality, US made instrument for a very reasonable price.

OTOH, I played a MIM Fender Jazz 5 this past summer at a friend's house and was very pleasantly surprised. Some of the MIM Fenders have too many corners cut in manufacturing, but this wasn't one of them.

I know Korean build quality is improving rapidly, but in this price range, I'd say keep your money in the Americas and buy a US, Canadian, or Mexican made instrument (in that order)!

6. I think a Reverend rumblefish just barely makes your price range (between $650 and $850, I think). Good bass, great tone, killer low end.

7. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "flat tone." Could you be more specific please?

Mike J.

8. What I mean by flat tone is a ton that still has the bassy punch, but is not to bright. Playing with your fingers gives you a bit more of flat tone when you play while picking gives you a bright tone. turn your tone knob on your bass all the way up to here an extreme example of a brigh tone, and all the way down to hear a very flat tone.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you could get a zon in that price range, DO IT!

jason

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    MIA Fender P

11. I haven't played on a MTD kingston yet but all I've heard are killer things. They certainly look like they can whup ass.
    MIA and MIM and MIJ Fenders are great, the MIM's And MIJ's are really good for their price. A friend of mine had an active jazz that was MIM... It was a great freakin bass for only $400!
    Most of those Spectors for 800 or less suck. I'd go with the ceaper warwicks. I'm not sure how much you can ring in a bolt on thumb bass for, but they are a steal for anything less than 1000.
    And you can always find used EB Music Man Stingrays for around 700 to 850.
    I vote for Warwick though.

~Ad

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    From what I hear, Sounds like your BEST bets would be on the MTD Kingston or Reverend Rumblefish.

I own the MTD, and I can tell you, it's worth not just every penny, but quite a few more pennies to boot.

13. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    How about the new Lakland's. One is in your price range, I've heard they can't be touched by anything under a grand. Just another thought.

George

14. eglivincent

eglivincent

Feb 24, 2002
    i just purchased a mtd kingston 4 and i'm really happy with the bass. i'm a newbie on the bass and i bought a yamaha bbn4 (active) last month and ended up returning it. i thought the active preamp and dual pickups were a necesity, but i could never get good, deep punchy tones from it. i was very surprised when i tried the kingston because it was a single, passive pickup (remember, i'm a beginner!) but it had a real loud, deep sound. the tone dial actually works! i don't know is this has any bearing, but this is the most inexpensive bass that the guy at rudy's music in nyc recommends and sells. rudy's seemed to be the only bass store in the city that really knows their stuff. the one thing i would have liked is more heft; its fairly light bass.

-john

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fender or MTD.

16. I voted Fender, a P would probably be more suitable than a J for the tone your looking for, but you never know.