Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHICH BASS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by offspring fan, Mar 9, 2002.

1. offspring fan

offspring fan Guest

Mar 9, 2002
    England
    I have just started playing bass and i don't know notin about the makes so i need to know a good bass with a good sound but not really heavy so if you could help me out i would appreciate it.:D

2. Hello Ofsping' and welcome to Talk Bass.

Which Bass? That's something that's almost impossible to answer. You must have something in mind? I guess most beginners choose something like a Squier. I'm a Yamaha fan (although I currently don't own one). I like both the looks and the sound of most of the lower priced models and I'm hanging my nose over a RBX 270 at the moment. You get a lot of bass for your money with a Yammy. My dealer has them for under £200, new, and I reckon you should be able to pick a second hand one up for about 2/3 that price.

I'd definitely buy second hand, anyway, because the bargains are out there to be had. I Bought my Bass Collection from my dealer that way: it was absolutely mint and cost me just £250 incl a good bag and spare set Rotosound strings.

I recently sold a Squier Affinity P Bass that I bought used for £79, again via my dealer. That bass was really nice.

Try a Tanglewood, a Washburn, an Ibanez, a Mexican made Fender, etc.

I'm really not sure what more to say other than buy a named bass (as above), and keep clear of Fender clones that go under various names.

John