1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WHICH BASS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by offspring fan, Mar 9, 2002.

1. offspring fan

offspring fan Guest

Mar 9, 2002
    England
    I have just started playing bass and i don't know notin about the makes so i need to know a good bass with a good sound but not really heavy so if you could help me out i would appreciate it.:D

2. Hello Ofsping' and welcome to Talk Bass.

Which Bass? That's something that's almost impossible to answer. You must have something in mind? I guess most beginners choose something like a Squier. I'm a Yamaha fan (although I currently don't own one). I like both the looks and the sound of most of the lower priced models and I'm hanging my nose over a RBX 270 at the moment. You get a lot of bass for your money with a Yammy. My dealer has them for under £200, new, and I reckon you should be able to pick a second hand one up for about 2/3 that price.

I'd definitely buy second hand, anyway, because the bargains are out there to be had. I Bought my Bass Collection from my dealer that way: it was absolutely mint and cost me just £250 incl a good bag and spare set Rotosound strings.

I recently sold a Squier Affinity P Bass that I bought used for £79, again via my dealer. That bass was really nice.

Try a Tanglewood, a Washburn, an Ibanez, a Mexican made Fender, etc.

I'm really not sure what more to say other than buy a named bass (as above), and keep clear of Fender clones that go under various names.

John