Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Spector NS2002B

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. Warwick Rockbass Thumb

18 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Yamaha BB604

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Fender MIM Jazz

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'm looking at all of these basses, but I haven't had a chance to play any of them except the MIM Jazz, which I wasn't impressed by. I like a chunkier neck, and the Jazz was a little thin for me. Thanks for any input.

Dirk

2. Hi Dirk,

I just got my first bass and I've tried 3 of the model you're looking at.

Spector NS2002B: Neck and feel was nice but the two tone control (like a guitar) meant that tone shaping was VERY limited IMHO. In fact I felt the MIM Jazz had more of a tonal variety (even with a single tone control) than the NS2002B (again it could be me).

The Spector had a nice tone but not very versatile to me. I tried the model just higher NS2000Q4 and it was VERY good. WAY more tone shaping than the NS2002B. To me the NS2002B is NOT worth its price. The NS2000Q4 is really worth it though!!!

The MIM-Jazz I liked the sound but didn't have enough thump to it, and the sound wasn't deep enough. This however is really a personal thing.

The BB-604 was ok I guess it was quite good but I really wanted a fatter and deeper sound.

I found that sound (and awesome tone shaping capability) with the Ibanez BTB-400. This is no soundgear the neck is WIDE. Since you like chunky neck you definitively need to try one.

Soundwise you really are on your own as each of us is looking for specific tone characteristics.

P.S. The NS2000Q4 was slightly over my budget else I would have had a hard choosing between it and the BTB. They are very different but each of those has its appeal.

Hope this help!

3. someome please correct me if i'm wrong, as i havn't really played many spectors, or researched them much, but isn't the NS2000Q4 the same as the NS2002B but with a quilted top????
    probly wrong, personally, out of them 4, i'd go with the MIM jazz, or perhaps a MIM precision, simply because they are SO EASY to upgrade, and u can do so as you improve and your tastes develope!

*Si*

p.s.
    i also agree that the Ibanzez BTB deserves your attention to :)

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The NS2000Q4 has active electronics (bass and treble boost/cut), while the NS2002B is passive. Also the Q4 is made in Korea while the 2002B is made in China. The Q4 is a much better bass, and much better value, constructionwise.

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Woah woah woah! Since when do they have a Warwick Thumb Rockbass? I've never seen them in that line. Please give/link me more information if at all possible.:D

6. Thanks hujo :)

also i'd like to add to the thread, you could probly set your sites a little higher if your willing to buy used!

*Si*

7. As a resident Warwick freak (c'mon TB admin, post my Supporting Membership--I paid last night!) I will enlighten you. Go to www.warwickrockbass.com for all the info. What our friend means to convey is that he is considering a Corvette variant, which has a "thumb" of an upper horn to it. There are differences between the basic, classic and special edition versions of this j-pickuped 2-band active EQ'd bass, with classic & SE sporting flame maple tops (one is sunburst, the other amberburst; that's the only real difference). Of course, that's what I voted for in the poll, but the moderator may consider performing a modification if such is possible. Meanwhile, until my avatar appears, here's my Corvette FNA to view.

8. Dirk,I've had a few basses and I currently play a Fender Precision with "active pick-ups".It's a little pricy but way cheaper than a Fender Jazz.It's the best that I've had period.It is also called a "P bass lyte" model.And I am a picky player,I tested more expensive basses but it all comes down to what particular bass feels comfortable and just "plays right".I prefer anything with active electronics.Best of luck on your bass search.

9. How about a MusicMan Stingray! Ever hear of them?. They purr like a cat when you play them. The ray has a nice size neck to it... um.. kinda like a p-bass neck but better.......

10. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    .so ill say the warwick (corvette, no thumb..) cause i think theres a lotta people here that says the best option is the fender.......and i dont agree

if u werent impressed by the mim, warwicks usually have a bigger neck than fenders i think, and they have a great sound.

11. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    The Corvette is reviewed in the latest
    Bass Player
    magazine, and it gets a very good review.

12. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    there is a rockbass model thumb!!!!!!!! i now there is a streamer and a corvette but not a thumb

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Get the Spector, you won't be sorry! :D

14. Dirk, check out a Fender MIM P bass or even the reissue Sting basses.

The Sting bass has a chunkier neck and lists for about $550.00 in new condition.

http://basspalace.com/dynamic/basslist/4StringBass

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I always hate it when you ask someone, "A or B?" and they say, "C" but that's exactly what I'm going to do.

If you get the chance, try out the Robert Deleo model from Schecter. I played one not too long ago and was pleasantly surprised. Very playable, neck on the chunky side and a very nice deep tone. They are going for about $600 new, but I've seen a couple on ebay go for about $300 and some change. Just an option to consider...

Might also consider a used G&L. They're fine instruments that can be had at a very reasonable price.

(Hi Treena -- Nice to see you. :) )

16. Nice to see you again Robert!

[​IMG]
    Treena