Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ark, Jul 17, 2002.

1. ark

ark

Jul 17, 2002
    Norwich, UK
    Right, here we go...

I've been looking around the web for a good bass forum for the past couple of days, and this looks like the best subscribed. So here's my first post!!

I've been playing electric bass for quite a while now, but haven't regularly been in a band, and as a result still have a unnecessarily twangy bottom-of-the-line instrument (Vester stage series).

Anyway, over this summer I've got back together with a few former school friends and we're looking to do some gigging and recording. So, naturally I'm looking to get a new instrument as soon as possible.

I've got some cash in the bank, but was hiping not to spend much more than £400-£500 ($600-$750) and certainly don't mind buying second hand.

I want something versatile. I normally play fingered. I want to be able to play funky sounds as well as more standard rock, and I want something that records well.

I'm not particularly well read in what's on the market, but the best I've played was this one guy's Warwick (low-end of the price scale I think - probably corvet). Anyway, I want this kind of sound, but at an affordable price for me.

What should I go for??? :confused:
    (please bear in mind that I'm in the UK)

cheers,

ARK

2. If you like the Warwick sound, try to see if you can get a used one in your price range. Being on that side of the pond, prices should be lower than they are over here.

And of course there are the Warwick Rock Basses. I've never played them, so I can't offer any opinion about them.

I'm not much for Warwicks myself, but if you like it, go for it.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Welcome to Talkbass!!!!

I guess that the first thing to do is go and try as many basses in and just out of your price range!!! Find out exactly what you do and don't like - the don't will be easier to put back!!!

Also, if you're already happy with the Warwick , try a few different ones of the same model! It's your money and you've got to be happy with it for a while!

Is the budget just for your bass? Or is it bass, case, leads, strap etc! 'Cos that could cut down what you can afford!

Here's a link to a mail order place - based in Scotland. I frequent their Glasgow shop. IT'll maybe give you some idea of prices!

www.soundcontrol.co.uk

Also - as you like Warwicks, try out

www.thomann.de

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not really - everything in the UK is more expensive than both the US and mainland Europe! :(

I don't think there is a decent Warwick for less than about a £1,000 - but I don't like Corvettes and the budget models are just not worth having - a MIM Fender would be a much better investment.

£400-£500 is a very awkward range - if you said £300 - I would say MIM Fender every time. But £500 is not enough to get a really decent bass and you're into the mid-range of Ibanez etc. Now these might look good but they change every year and hence plummit in value like a stone! :(

You will undoubtedly want to sell or trade up and when you go back to a shop, they will be offering your £120 on the Ibanez you paid them £500 for less than a year ago! :mad:

I would say save up a £1000 for a really good bass !! ;)

5. That's why I said should. I wasn't sure, but I had heard Warwicks were much cheaper in Europe than the US, since that is where they're made. It does make sense that stuff in the UK would be more than mailand EU. That must really suck, huh?

I've heard it is the same with Hawaii, though.

6. ark

ark

Jul 17, 2002
    Norwich, UK
    Cheers for the help.

Had a look at what was available at one of my local instrument stores and tried out a fair few models. Was recommended Ibanez basses for a similar sound to Warwick at a lower price.

I tried one of the higher end Ibanez models (£550) vs a Warwick Corvette Standard (£730), and must say that I was more impressed by the Ibanez. Especially at the price. What's the general view on Ibanez basses?

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well as I said - they depreciate very rapidly - so a £500 model will probably only get you £150 if you're lucky, when you come to trade it in - and you will want to trade it in!! ;)

8. rudybaker

rudybaker

Jul 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    What kind of stuff are you doing?

I have a '67 Fender Jazz and it has a great sound for most applications (save really heavy stuff). You can pick up older post cbs basses for kind of cheap. I used Elderly Instruments, and I believe the ship over seas. They are on the web as well.

9. ark

ark

Jul 17, 2002
    Norwich, UK
    definitely not the style for me I'm afraid. The blunderpuss I've got at the moment is a Jazz copy. Besides, I'm not a big Fender fan - not of their basses anyways.

What I really want is something versatile that I can play fast and gives a full sound at the same time. ie. sound-wise, something that is distinguishable among other instruments, and won't just blend into the background.