1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowner, May 19, 2011.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    my dad has a friend that owns a pawn shop and is cleaning out the back room because he is going to to be moving his shop to a better location. He knows I play bass and is going to offer my a choice of one of 3 basses for 50 bucks. One is an Ibanez, that I am pretty sure is one of the models that comes from one of their beginners packs. The other is a yamaha rbx 170 and the other is a some p bass knock off. I have pretty much elimated the p bass knock off from the list.

The catch to this is none of these basses work. The guy dosent know whats wrong with them and rather than take them to the shop on the other side of town he would rather just sell them and take some cash than dish it out to get them fixed.

I don't think its such a bad deal for 50 bucks. They are both grimey and dusty from having sat in his backroom without a case for who knows how long. At the very least they might need a good cleaning and they will work. But for 50 bucks even if its something electronic, is a good deal in my opinion.

i was just wondering which one though. I have owned both models at one time or another and i have liked them both.

So which one would you pick, or none and tell me why you would take that particular bass?

I seriously cannot make up my mind.

2. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Banned

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, Va
    The Ibanez will be a good player if it's one of the active ones.

3. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    They are all passive.

4. Given the general reputation of Yamaha instruments, I'd go that way. They have a pretty good rap overall. I've not been an Ibby fan, and the RBX 170 has good reviews online.

Check these TB reviews (- and why haven't you done a search already???)
    RBX170 - Bass Gear Reviews at TalkBass.com

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'd offer him $75 for both. Get them both cleaned up and hopefully playable. Play them both for a bit, and make your own choice. Sell the other one for $100 and all is good.

6. ^^^ Not a bad idea!

7. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Already tried that...he wouldn't take 75 for both. He wants 50 each or I give him 150 and take all 3. I was thinking the same as you were.

8. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    He is blufing. So should you. Offer him $80 for both and if he's willing to bargain (which he probably is) you might meet at $85 which is still a good price considering that you can clean and fix them both, and sell one for say $70. You still end up with a bargain.