Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which basses are better, SX or Epiphone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niblet, Dec 9, 2002.

1. I need some help, I was planning on getting a new bass (cos ive worn out my current crappola P bass rip off) in a couple of months and i had my eye on an Epiphone Thunderbird, then i heard SX basses were really good. So which would you guys reccomend, an SX J bass, SX P bass or an Epiphone T-bird? (I'm going for a punkrock kinda sound) :confused:

2. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    i have very limited experience with wither of these basses but ive never heard anything bad about sx basses. the sx p-bass will give u just the punch u need for that punkrock sound but i personally like the jazz basses. you can get almost any tone you could ever want. im getting one after x-mass

good luck

pgk

3. I just sold a fretless J-bass copy. I can't compare it to the Epiphone, but I can tell you what I liked and disliked

I bought it in March to try fretless since I'd never done so. The finish is beautiful. The rest of the bass is passable at best. I replaced the pickups because I was looking for a warmer tone. There was also a little buzzing going on. I also had to replace the bridge because the holes were drilled too small to accomodate nylon tape wound strings. You probably wouldn't have this problem on a fretted but you might want to have a drill or a replacement bridge handy if you go with a heavier scale.

It was a lot of fun to play but I gave up all my 4-strings. The one thing of note - this is a HEAVY bass weight wise. I'm not a small man at 6'1" and 194 lbs. But wearing this for a couple of hours was tough.

It's a good, cheap bass and very nicely done for the money.