Which basses are better, SX or Epiphone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niblet, Dec 9, 2002.

1. I need some help, I was planning on getting a new bass (cos ive worn out my current crappola P bass rip off) in a couple of months and i had my eye on an Epiphone Thunderbird, then i heard SX basses were really good. So which would you guys reccomend, an SX J bass, SX P bass or an Epiphone T-bird? (I'm going for a punkrock kinda sound) :confused:
  2. handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    i have very limited experience with wither of these basses but ive never heard anything bad about sx basses. the sx p-bass will give u just the punch u need for that punkrock sound but i personally like the jazz basses. you can get almost any tone you could ever want. im getting one after x-mass

good luck

3. I just sold a fretless J-bass copy. I can't compare it to the Epiphone, but I can tell you what I liked and disliked

I bought it in March to try fretless since I'd never done so. The finish is beautiful. The rest of the bass is passable at best. I replaced the pickups because I was looking for a warmer tone. There was also a little buzzing going on. I also had to replace the bridge because the holes were drilled too small to accomodate nylon tape wound strings. You probably wouldn't have this problem on a fretted but you might want to have a drill or a replacement bridge handy if you go with a heavier scale.

It was a lot of fun to play but I gave up all my 4-strings. The one thing of note - this is a HEAVY bass weight wise. I'm not a small man at 6'1" and 194 lbs. But wearing this for a couple of hours was tough.

It's a good, cheap bass and very nicely done for the money.