which basses fit this style best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emissary, Jan 31, 2006.

1. emissary

Jan 22, 2005
    I play a lot of modern rock to heavy stuff. Things from Shinedown to Disturbed Sevendust Alterbridge. The original content we play is all drop d 1/2 step down or drop C. Which bass will fit best for me? I've got close to 2 grand to spend. I was thinking about the warwick Thumb SN, Buzzard SN, or Vampyre SN. Maybe even a stingray 4. Help please
  2. You've got a nice range of bands there, almost looks like 1/18th of my collection :D . Honestly, I think a Warwick would fit you pretty well, just as you've suggested. However, don't forget about Tobias or Spector basses. I've seen Brad Stewart of Shinedown play both live (and some say he's even played a Thumb live too) and both basses got Shinedown's modern hard rock music done perfectly.

Now, just because you've got $2k to blow, doesn't mean you need to use it all. I played the Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 5 and didn't expect to be happy with the tonal range due to the two-band preamp. However, that Thumb got me more range than my 3 band Ibby does. I'm now a HUGE fan of 2 band preamps vs. three bands. I'll assume you meant to say "Thumb NT" not "Thumb SN" as the Thumb comes bolted or neck-through. I say save some cash, and spend $1300 on the bolt-on thumb and put the rest towards a good setup and rig.

BUT ALSO...

You can say well, hell there's plenty of higher end basses on ebay that you might be able to catch for $2k, maybe a ZON or a Roscoe or Sadowsky even. There's really endless resources and basses to be had for that kind of cash. So, go to all the guitar stores you can in your area and play everything. Honetsly, to me, it's inthe fingers, not the bass. The bass can only help you out so much before it becomes mental. You can make any bass work in your situation if you apply yourself. So, check out all your local stores, and see what you like. www.BassCentral.com has alot of basses, and GREAT prices for them. However, the website is not current or up to date at all, so if you see something you like, chances are, it's already gone :(. So e-mail Beaver to check on availability, he's a great guy and will respond promptly.

Good luck.

3. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I would say either one of those would suit it. However I don't believe in the "one bass for one style thinking." So far I've been through a MIM Jazz w/EMG's, an Ibanez BTB 510, and am now with A lakland 55-01. I would take back either bass as well...they both had their strong points. I'm with the Lakland cuz it was affordable #1, 5 string, tight B, and just felt good in my hands. I'm able to dial in whatever I want.
  4. Spending 2k pretty much assures you that you will get a nice bass, maybe two! Of course, a lot has to do personal preference for the feel & sound of an instrument so it's always hard to comment on a question like this, but I will say that I play a generally similar style of music and own both a Zon Sonus 4 and a MM Stingray 5. Lots of hard rock dudes play the Stingray so that may be a good choice. Plus if you buy used you can get one for about $850 if you are lucky. I will sat that they are somewhat heavy so be warned. I personally love the Sonus: good weight, good tone, easy to play and the graphite neck is awesome on tour - no muss no fuss. But I have an older one that has no truss rod so lower tunings can get a bit noisy since there is no way adjust the neck for non standard tension. I 'think' that newer ones may have truss rods, but check first.

I've never had too much experience with the Buzzard or the Vampire so I can't say much there. And then I am not a really big fan of Warwicks - no flames, just my opinion. I have never liked how the tone sits in a mix, or rather doesn't (I think it tends to jump out a bit much) and I don't find the basses comfortable to play. But there are lots of players who make Warwicks work for them and there are lots of Warwick enthusiasts here so it is just what I think.

Like DeathBoolmsLife said, there are other choices; Spector is a good one, and if you are looking at a Stingray you might also want to look at some Fender Precisions as well.

Good luck!
  5. So... No muss, no fuss... no truss????

:D :D :D :D :D